The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Power Steering

jevansio

Thinking out loud here and by no means even close to being a solution.

Extending the racks pipework is easy enough, local hydralic place should be able to make the custom length pipes. Pump could be mounted somewhere on the chassis leg. Main wiring from high current feed to a high amp mosfet. Mostfet control can be via some sort of pulse to voltage convertor circuit run from the speed sensor.

Right I've had a bit to drink, but are you saying that if you can get an electrically controlled pump to supply the exact same fluid as the belt driven one (rpm dependant) then the rest of the system should behave as normal?

Right I've had a bit to drink, but are you saying that if you can get an electrically controlled pump to supply the exact same fluid as the belt driven one (rpm dependant) then the rest of the system should behave as normal?

That's my theory... (and I'm sober ;))

The pump itself is very light, make alloy brackets if you must. Electric systems are not some sort of Flux Capacitor, they take battery power, a LOT of battery power. How is this regenerated? By ENGINE power through a high output alternator, so you gain no real performance advantage. It's like these damned Greens in electric cars, they never think where the power at the charging point comes from. You have a simple and reliable set up as stock, I would be loathe to alter it without very good reason.