The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guess the BHP game

GeordieSteve

Never done quarters mate. Never been on the track and I also don't speed (too many points). I was just given the read out as part of the S-AFCII set up and thought it should be a little higher compared to what people were getting on the same rollers with stock tubbys, exhaust and de-cats

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get an accelerometer. They're quite cheap now, and you can *measure* the effectiveness of any 'mod' with no bull.

Just find a long, quiet straight near you and after a few runs you'll see how repeatable the results are.

You can measure bhp at the wheels too, once you've done a few timings to estimate frictions etc. (you also need the exact weight of the vehicle). Pays for itself very quickly if you're interested in the real effect of 'mods'.

Bit of an eye-opener actually.

Steve, I really think you should revert to 550 injectors with Hybrids. I'm running 550's on my single (albeit with high fuel pressures) and only just maxing out at around 1.5 bar. I've had 650's sitting here for months but loathed to fit them coz the safc just can't cope with those parrameters.

Well, I really don't want to get into a dyno figure debate, but if 473 was at the wheels with stock based turbo's, that means he's somewhere near 580 @ the flywheel. - Sorry, can't see it's possible.

It's not just the turbo's - Richy had nearly every mod available on the car.

Cams, 650cc injectors, Adjustable FPR, Walbro Pump, 3" decat, Aquamist, Blitz FMIC etc etc

Gaz.

Yep but I'm gonna shell out for the emanage. I had emanage a while back but was advised to get rid and get S-AFCII... I also had 550's but was advised to go 650's so I swapped em. Must... stop... listening... to people!

Sorry fella, i'll shut up then! :p

I had emanage a while back but was advised to get rid and get S-AFCII...

Who on earth advised that?? That has to be the dumbest piece of advice ever! I'd go and ask them for the money to get another eManage! You wern't to know mate but, by christ, someone owe's you a favour or two for such cack advice.

16x16map (eManage) vs. 2x8 (s-afc) or something like that....yeah the S-AFC rulez. LMAO.

Is it just me that doesn't trust the silly figures off of the Thor Dyno? Every car that goes on their seems to come away with silly figures? I have no faith in the system for measuring power, think it's great for tuning though as it has repeatable results.

Can't remember where the advice came from now but it sounds like it may be slightly teh wrong one to take.

hmmmm confused over the Thor Dyno thing. I wouldn't have thought my figure was too far wrong?

EDIT - Of late the figures seem to be getting less obscure. What was yours again? 370 on Hybrids on an Auto at the hubs...hmmm about 440-460 at the fly? That's reasonable at the fly for hybrids.

Is it just me that doesn't trust the silly figures off of the Thor Dyno? Every car that goes on their seems to come away with silly figures? I have no faith in the system for measuring power, think it's great for tuning though as it has repeatable results.

I think it's a pretty much accepted fact that the Thor Dyno gives silly-high unrealistic numbers ;)

As you say though as long as one continues to use the same dyno for tuning then gains/losses can still be measured.

Jurgen...they are supposed to be at the hubs...but I'm not a believer of that...IMO they are closer to Flywheel figures, no matter what the mods.

Terry and Ian C's Hybrids were state of the art with all the accompanying mods needed and I don't think either would claim 470+ at the hubs! Richie's results seem off to me...that's not his fault and I dare say I expect his car is a very very powerful hybrid equipped motor.