The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS Warning light help please

mustang

Just checked those codes again today, they're definately 63 and 64. What do you think Ian?

I'm tempted to take the thing to toyota dundee but I don't know what they'll make of it and I don't want to end up paying them through the nose getting it fixed, don't get me wrong I'll spend what is needed for a propper job but they'll not be for using refurbished stuff / parts off one of the breakers.

Well I'm using the same manual that Toyota will use, I'm just charging a lot less :) And they don't go up to 63/64, just 61/62.

Try clearing the codes and unplugging the TRAC ECU (it's in the passenger footwell under the plastic cover, the smaller of the two ECUs there). Go for a test drive and see what codes get stored then.

-Ian

CLEARING DTCS

NOTE: DTCs can also be cleared by removing ECU-B fuse but other memory systems will be cleared.

• Remove short connector from DLC1.
  • Using a jumper wire, jumper DLC1 or DLC2 terminals Tc and E1
  • Turn ignition on.
  • With vehicle stopped, depress brake pedal 8 or more times within 3 seconds.
  • DTCs are now erased. Ensure ABS light blinks 2 times per second.
  • Reconnect short connector.

Ian, I'm having some trouble clearing the DTCs. Pressing the brake pedal doesn't do it, and none of the fuses are marked ECU-B, which one would I need to remove? (see pic)

I dont get the bold bit either, I jump Tc and E1 but what is the bit about DLC1 or DLC2?

270220100800.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just disconnect the battery, turn the ignition on for a few seconds, off again, and re connect the battery, that will clear any codes. The ABS will self diagnose to some extent, it's all in the workshop manuals you can buy or even download I believe. There's PAGES of stuff on the system.

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrect.

I just found a load of service manual PDFs out there on that thar interweb. They cover the facelift Supra as well, to a point. And while perusing I found that the ABS and TRAC ECu error codes have a 63 and 64:

Right rear speed sensor circuit

Left rear speed sensor circuit

"When the brake switch is OFF, one of the symmetrical wheels’

speed becomes one eight or less of the slowest speed of other

3 wheels continuously for 10 sec. or more."

I think that translates as one wheel appears to be going markedly slower than the other three for 10s or more.

The fix is basically to check the wiring, connectors, and sensors. I'll get the PDFs uploaded at some point :)

-Ian

Just seen your post Ian, thats great info. I had the rear callipers replaced for refurbished ones a month or 2 before so it could be something wasn't put back 100% right. I'll have to get a look at it.

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the speed sensor though would you? I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Thanks Ian!

Edited by mustang (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Update

The car is being looked at by Checkpoint in Arbroath and they have found one of the sensors is not working properly but the can't clear those error codes. Surely they should be able to clear them while the car is standing and they wouldn't be triggered untill the car moves, but the method described in the toyota manual doesn't work. I couldn't get them clear either, could this mean that theres something wrong with the ABS ECU too?

• 1 year later...

Hi! I have '99 SZ AT to '96 RZ-S AT conversion ( JDM ). I have bought '96 late wiring harness for whole car. All work fine, including TRC, but I'm getting DTC 24 Error code. I tried to check ABS using USDM manual, but I have stopped on the Actuator checking, cause I have no conductivity on 3 and 7 pins on the Actuator. Then I called my friend who has factory late '96 TT A\T and he has Actuator with the same partnumber and also no conductivity on 3 and 7 pins, but he has no ABS Errors. Any Ideas?!

So I have:

TT whole harness

TT ECU

TT TRAC ECU

TT ABS ECU

NA Speed Sensors

NA Actuator (same partnumber with TT)

I Don't Understand what should I do, to solve this problem.