The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The TVR Cerbera

Project Blitz

Going on the figures mentioned in this thread:

TVR: 360/1.06 = 339bhp/tonne.

If a supra weighs around 1500kg, you would need:

1.5 X 339 = 509bhp to match it in terms of power to weight.

For the 4.5l, 420bhp model, assuming the same weight, you would need 594 bhp.

I know it's more complex than that, but as a rough guide, Mr. Blitz's estimate of 500bhp a few posts back sounds right to me.

It is true that TVR exaggerate their figures for their power outputs. My 4.0 Chimaera was claimed to put out 240bhp, but id be suprised if it was that, more like 220bhp. It was about as fast as my last supra TT VVti running about 1 bar. I know someone who had a 4.5 Cerbera and their put out 380bhp on a dyno, still a lot of power for the weight but not quite the 420bhp they claim! :)

It is true that TVR exaggerate their figures for their power outputs. My 4.0 Chimaera was claimed to put out 240bhp, but id be suprised if it was that, more like 220bhp. It was about as fast as my last supra TT VVti running about 1 bar. I know someone who had a 4.5 Cerbera and their put out 380bhp on a dyno, still a lot of power for the weight but not quite the 420bhp they claim! :)

We have em on the dyno every week dude trust me they put out more than TVR claim and a lot more with the cats removed and a remap

My next car would be a cerbera absolutely no doubt ..... If i hadnt been strongly advised by experience mechanics/racers that they are no good as a daily driver amd are extremely unreliable.

Bloody shame as its my dream car, but no good for me every day if its always breaking down!

Wouldve been perfect with austec just 5 miles away too!!

My next car would be a cerbera absolutely no doubt ..... If i hadnt been strongly advised by experience mechanics/racers that they are no good as a daily driver amd are extremely unreliable.

Bloody shame as its my dream car, but no good for me every day if its always breaking down!

Wouldve been perfect with austec just 5 miles away too!!

Same as me, it was either the supra or the TVR, only because of the reliabilty i went for the supra. But everytime I drive past my dads one I wish I could have one! Its not running so I haven't even been in it yet.

If I had the money I'd buy it and change the engine to some reliable v8... (How much would that cost?)

Guest suprashah
Same as me, it was either the supra or the TVR, only because of the reliabilty i went for the supra. But everytime I drive past my dads one I wish I could have one! Its not running so I haven't even been in it yet.

If I had the money I'd buy it and change the engine to some reliable v8... (How much would that cost?)

I would imagine it being quite a complicated job ,, rumour has it that the AJP engine is not too bad in terms of reliability..

I had a Griffth 500 (see my profile) before the Supra. Absolutely loved it to bits, stupidly fast, and put a smile on my face everytime I drove it. Did look at Cerberas too at the time. Drove a couple and to be honest because of the shape of the windscreen it feel like you were driving a letterbox!!!! Anyway the Griff had the trusty Rover V8 so no problems there either.

Now I've got the Supra though, I'd never go back. The Supra is so well put together compared to the TVR, it actually feels like you might live if you hit something in it!!!!:D

I had a Griffth 500 (see my profile) before the Supra. Absolutely loved it to bits, stupidly fast, and put a smile on my face everytime I drove it. Did look at Cerberas too at the time. Drove a couple and to be honest because of the shape of the windscreen it feel like you were driving a letterbox!!!! Anyway the Griff had the trusty Rover V8 so no problems there either.

Now I've got the Supra though, I'd never go back. The Supra is so well put together compared to the TVR, it actually feels like you might live if you hit something in it!!!!:D

Not sure about the Griffth's but the cerbera's are pretty safe you have a sort of roll cage built in its mainly there though to stop the flexing thou ,but here is a cerbera after a heavy side impact we don’t have that sort of reinforcing inside of a supra door.

"deformation in an accident is very different to that of a conventional monocoque car. Anecdotal evidence suggests that TVRs are very strong in frontal impacts.

Steve Barber crashed his Cerbera back in January. Steve recalls the events:

"We were travelling down a straight country A-road at around 60mph ish... when I moved slightly closer to the nearside as I was slightly spooked by an oncoming car. As soon as the car started moving I just seemed to lose all control. After a few yards the nearside front caught a telegraph pole which sent us sideways. We then proceeded in a sideways direction performing a very neat 30m hedge clearance until the rear three quarter struck a fence post and the driver's door struck a small tree.

After everything came to a stop I switched off the engine and lights (those that were left intact!) and we extracted ourselves from the car. Unfortunately my side was now full of prickly hedge, but at least we were relatively unharmed. I do, however, feel that it was a very safe car to crash in. Even the salvage guys commented that in a 'normal' car, we would have been lucky to get out without serious injuries."

crash-05.jpg

Not sure about the Griffth's but the cerbera's are pretty safe you have a sort of roll cage built in its mainly there though to stop the flexing thou ,but here is a cerbera after a heavy side impact we don’t have that sort of reinforcing inside of a supra door.

"deformation in an accident is very different to that of a conventional monocoque car. Anecdotal evidence suggests that TVRs are very strong in frontal impacts.

Steve Barber crashed his Cerbera back in January. Steve recalls the events:

"We were travelling down a straight country A-road at around 60mph ish... when I moved slightly closer to the nearside as I was slightly spooked by an oncoming car. As soon as the car started moving I just seemed to lose all control. After a few yards the nearside front caught a telegraph pole which sent us sideways. We then proceeded in a sideways direction performing a very neat 30m hedge clearance until the rear three quarter struck a fence post and the driver's door struck a small tree.

After everything came to a stop I switched off the engine and lights (those that were left intact!) and we extracted ourselves from the car. Unfortunately my side was now full of prickly hedge, but at least we were relatively unharmed. I do, however, feel that it was a very safe car to crash in. Even the salvage guys commented that in a 'normal' car, we would have been lucky to get out without serious injuries."

That's true about the Cerbera. Certainly didn't have any side impact protection in the Griffith. Just a couple of centremeters of FibreGlass!!! I guess there was a bit from the Chassis and the fact your sat pretty low within it, but nothing to write home about. The Griffiths do pretty well in frontal impacts but hit one up the arse and you're straight into the Fuel Tank :-0