The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Miss-fire and No power!

cloudder

I did this one when I first had the problem- from what I remember the idle went up a bit, but the black smoke was still there, also I could feel a bit of a vacuum on the end of the hose.

Local Toyota garage sorting me out with new leads, cap and rotor for tomorrow. See if these help?

More questions!!

I've had a chance to look at the wiring diagrams for the RH Telltale panel after doing a check on the lamps and the local soldering. As there seems to be no power to all the lamps I am thinking there must be a common fault? I've attached a mark-up on the diagram to clarify my thoughts. It looks like the Yellow wire going to pin 3 supplys a common feed to the panel? If this is so, can I check this by switching on the ignition, putting the +ve probe of a multimeter on pin 3 of the plug and the -ve probe to chassis and if all is good I should get a voltage reading? Or isn't it that simple? I'm just wondering that if this panel has not worked during my ownership, perhaps when the alarm/imobiliser or rear fog switch was fitted, the installer cut the power accidently? Sorry, I can't check the car at the moment as I am not home.

Thoughts please?!:(

Wiring RH Telltales.jpg

Fitted the new rotor arm, cap and leads, plus cleaned the ICV- things just as bad as ever!! Got to try a sort out the engine check light issues- anyone any ideas??

Also, 2 of the small 'grain sized bulbs', one used in the hazard warning switch (grey plastic back) and the other for the SRS warning lamp (green plastic back) have blown. Can anyone quote a part number or tell me a source for these? My local toyota garage can't find them listed!!!

Had a chance to look at the RH Telltale light panel. resoldered all of the connections on the PC board and YES all the Lamps come on with the ignition key!

Fired her up again and of course she's still well rough, and the engine check light was on constantly, but I then did the paper clip in the socket test, but with the ignition on and the engine not running, I still only get a constant lamp and no pulsing- is there something I am doing wrong? I imagine if the check light is on when the engine is running, the ECU has detected a fault?

HELP!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Supra was towed to the garage last friday, about 5 miles from where the car was. I guy said to keep the engine running to keep power steering and brakes. Managed to do this by keeping the revs at about 1200rpm. When we got to the garage and blipped the throttle so much black smoke came out of the axhaust I couldnt see through it!!

The garage has looked at the fuel and thinks it is OK- not contaminated- SO PLEASE, ANY IDEAS!!!![OOPS][/OOPS]:Pling:

The Supra was towed to the garage last friday, about 5 miles from where the car was. I guy said to keep the engine running to keep power steering and brakes. Managed to do this by keeping the revs at about 1200rpm. When we got to the garage and blipped the throttle so much black smoke came out of the axhaust I couldnt see through it!!

The garage has looked at the fuel and thinks it is OK- not contaminated- SO PLEASE, ANY IDEAS!!!![OOPS][/OOPS]:Pling:

your overfueling mate badly,,.

a few years back one of our NA suprad did this run so rich.. we tried everything (the fault was the ECU)

• 2 weeks later...

The car was recovered to the Toyota main dealer today to get them to read the fault codes- they couldnt get the thing to read either! Their initial thoughts are a buggered ECU as you guys suggest.

Anyone got a good ECU for a 1993 (late) NA auto? Help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Right. I recieved a call from the ECU Doctor on friday to say my ECU had failed due to components de-grading over the years- the ignitor I sent to them at the same time is OK. They will complete the rebuild, warranty the ECU for 12 months and then return them direct to the garage for installation. Will keep you posted to make sure nothing else is screwed?!

Received a phone call from Marsh Toyota Honiton this morning to say they had the ECU and Ignitor back from the ECU Doctor and refitted them.

The Supra fired up with the first turn of the key and once warmed through performed a perfect shake down run.

The oil was then changed along with the filter and I picked it up this afternoon- everything is sweet again!

I'd just like to say that both Marsh Toyota Honiton and The ECU Doctor were excellent + all work, ECU etc are guaranteed for 12 months.

Cloudder:d