The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got my Supra, got a few concerns.

SamuraiFlash

All of these symptoms *could* be caused by a lack of a thermostat altogether.

I got my Supra looked at, and there wasn't a thermostat installed :wtf:

What do I win? :D

As Rob said, just enjoy the car. Once your thermostat's been fitted keep a close eye on the temperature gauge. Until you see symptoms of a problem, you can't begin to fix it. A thermostat may have been left out to counteract an overheating problem, or the guy who did it might have been too lazy to go to Halfords/Toyota and buy a new one.

One thing I would check (maybe Keron's already checked it): make sure the radiator fan operates whenever the engine is on. It's just possible that the fan may be broken and someone decided to fix the resulting overheating by taking the thermostat out.

If the heater doesn't get work well, you can try flushing it through with a hose. You can read up on here about how to do it. :)

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

What can i say Steve :clap:, i'll have to buy you a drink if we meet at a gathering :friday:

I'm taking the car to Keron's this week (he's been really busy), just hope it isn't serious, but as it is the car is fine.

It makes a funny sound when i take a left turn, or when i reverse steering to the left - what do you reckon that could be steve? :shrug:

What do I win? :D

As Rob said, just enjoy the car. Once your thermostat's been fitted keep a close eye on the temperature gauge. Until you see symptoms of a problem, you can't begin to fix it. A thermostat may have been left out to counteract an overheating problem, or the guy who did it might have been too lazy to go to Halfords/Toyota and buy a new one.

One thing I would check (maybe Keron's already checked it): make sure the radiator fan operates whenever the engine is on. It's just possible that the fan may be broken and someone decided to fix the resulting overheating by taking the thermostat out.

If the heater doesn't get work well, you can try flushing it through with a hose. You can read up on here about how to do it. :)

It makes a funny sound when i take a left turn, or when i reverse steering to the left - what do you reckon that could be steve? :shrug:

What kind of funny sound? Is it a clunking, a rubbing, a scraping etc? What speed does it do it at? When you're crawling along, or motorway speeds, or any speed?

My best guess is that the sub-frame bolts need tightening. It's a common issue on these cars, and super-easy to fix if you know what bolts to tighten. I'd ask Keron to check them for you: don't put it off though. If Keron can't do it soon, ask here to see if there's anyone local who could take a look for you.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

What kind of funny sound? Is it a clunking, a rubbing, a scraping etc? What speed does it do it at? When you're crawling along, or motorway speeds, or any speed?

My best guess is that the sub-frame bolts need tightening. It's a common issue on these cars, and super-easy to fix if you know what bolts to tighten. I'd ask Keron to check them for you: don't put it off though. If Keron can't do it soon, ask here to see if there's anyone local who could take a look for you.

The sounds more like a clangy sound, and it occures at slow speeds when im turn at a junction or reversing off my drive.