The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's this Tiptronic gearbox all about?

Aerotop Dave

This was only available on the facelift models and is essentially a manual auto box (whaaa…?). You have the option of either letting the auto do it’s stuff by itself or selecting the gears manually via buttons on the steering wheel. It’s similar to the manual mode on the auto but means you don’t have to take your hands off the steering wheel.

searchflags: tiptronic, button, paddle, shift, auto

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having run an TT auto / TT 5 speed man / TT 6 speed man / now TT VVTI Tiptronic....In my humble middle adged opinion, TT 5 spd man was the best fun to drive for lots of illegal reasons. TT six spd man a close second, but Id say the 6th gear adds kudos and rarity value only. TT VVTI...first week was a hoot, and unless you wear gloves / false nails, the buttons are easy to get used to...def a windy road 'box though as its pointless in traffic...two years into ownership and its now only a trick auto although it is easier to re-live the RWD TRAC OFF days of yore. TT auto does exactly what it says on the tin. Rumours are that the auto boxes are stronger than the manual ones, and autos are not that much slower. A recent rumour (Im going to ask the question in tech forum) is that standard JDM TT VVTI Tiptronics are actually more powerful than and a gnats foreskin off the pace than JDM TT manuals. My biggest regret so far is that I cant fit that spanking TRD three spoke steering wheel.........

Having run an TT auto / TT 5 speed man / TT 6 speed man / now TT VVTI Tiptronic....In my humble middle adged opinion, TT 5 spd man was the best fun to drive for lots of illegal reasons. TT six spd man a close second, but Id say the 6th gear adds kudos and rarity value only. TT VVTI...first week was a hoot, and unless you wear gloves / false nails, the buttons are easy to get used to...def a windy road 'box though as its pointless in traffic...two years into ownership and its now only a trick auto although it is easier to re-live the RWD TRAC OFF days of yore. TT auto does exactly what it says on the tin. Rumours are that the auto boxes are stronger than the manual ones, and autos are not that much slower. A recent rumour (Im going to ask the question in tech forum) is that standard JDM TT VVTI Tiptronics are actually more powerful than and a gnats foreskin off the pace than JDM TT manuals. My biggest regret so far is that I cant fit that spanking TRD three spoke steering wheel.........

Well taking some of these in order, I think you'll find a 5 speed manual TT is considerably rarer than a 6sp, since they don't exist! Not unless someone has transplanted a TT engine into an NA. The auto box is certainly not stronger than the manual, and there is no difference in engines between any of the transmission types, so a VVTi tipto will be no more powerful than a VVTi 6sp.

sorry for the DOH.....we are talking MK III T as in MKIV TT less I and one T to correct my one fingered typing whilst eating steak and ale pie....oh, and yes, I remember them as a lot of fun (did I say I was over 40 and going downhill fastbut no, I woulnt pass on a 6 spd TT man - In fact that will be what I go for next...I had one for a few days loan, but Id fallen for the Tiptronic by then.. and yes you are right, I cant drive to save my life anyway

getting hit hard here, but then thats what Ive joined for...you guys know things I dont, I buy a car and read the Jap mags, you guys buy the car and autopsy them and rebuild in a way I cant even begin to touch on...Im not worthy .....One thing Id love you guys to confirm still though - is the VVTI more powerful than the non ?

getting hit hard here, but then thats what Ive joined for...you guys know things I dont, I buy a car and read the Jap mags, you guys buy the car and autopsy them and rebuild in a way I cant even begin to touch on...Im not worthy .....One thing Id love you guys to confirm still though - is the VVTI more powerful than the non ?

LOL, you mean we're all extremely sad, don't get out much and know all the intimite details of the specs of various models! Still, best to get these things right in the FAQ section as people will refer to it for definitive info on things.

With a Big Single it will be ;)

Hi Simon, I shouldnt have bunged that post in FAQ anyway...but Im learning. Cant let you end the thread like that tho - I wouldnt be a member if I didnt think you lot were a goldmine of valuable info...Supes arnt just cars, they are a way of life - I wish the MKIV had come out before mine was half over

Basically the variable valve timing has allowed the Toyota geniuses to get more torque (slightly more bhp if you believe the marketing) out of the already good 2JZ GTE engine.

I had a TT auto and compared to my VVTi tiptronic it felt slower off the mark.

Better economy from the VVTi also.