The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polishing BLING

Jamesy

Sorry to thread hijack a little Jamesy but would you guys recommend this for cleaning a FMIC?

Its dirty and I wanted to clean it before fitting hopefully over the weekend.

If a lot of crap is stuck to it, you could certainly give it a clay whilst washing it. I'd recommend the autosol to then give it a good clean up as its a bit more abbrasive than the nxt. But you could follow it up with the nxt to refine the finish.

If a lot of crap is stuck to it, you could certainly give it a clay whilst washing it. I'd recommend the autosol to then give it a good clean up as its a bit more abbrasive than the nxt. But you could follow it up with the nxt to refine the finish.

Though when you say Clay, do you mean like stuff to clean the car bodywork with? I'll have to visit my local car shop and see if I can get any. What would you recommend I wash it with? Soap and water? Its is quite dirty! Sorry for the stupid questions.

An also sorry for the thread jack Jamesy :)

Though when you say Clay, do you mean like stuff to clean the car bodywork with? I'll have to visit my local car shop and see if I can get any. What would you recommend I wash it with? Soap and water? Its is quite dirty! Sorry for the stupid questions.

An also sorry for the thread jack Jamesy :)

Dont be daft fella its all good info u crack on !! ;)

You don't mention the bling in question. Stainless steel and ally should really be treated differently to chrome.

For ally and steel i used to use: http://www.lb-restoration.co.uk/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1206270146.19272&product=VALETING&pid=153

For chrome i just waxed the hell out of it with a good carnauba wax topping up every now and then.

Cloths are important too, it is easy to swirl the metal, i would get a couple of applicator sponges for applying the polish and some soft cloths to remove it.

none of this old t shirt business :D

you souldn't use Autosol as its contains an abrasive! and can leave it sctratched as i found out when i had my ford! There is an Autosol Gel that Rays the Roof says is ok, but the chrome company i used for my ford said to use AutoGlym super resine polish as thats what they use is the best! And its brillient!

I also use meguiars all metalpolish on my rims and boost pipes but i wouldnt use that in chrome!

Gotta be careful when defining "polished ally" and "chrome" Polished alloy you can use most metal polishes but chrome will mark VERY easy!

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Guest Rays the roof
I heard its a good idea to used scrunched up tinfoil (not aluminium foil) to polish chrome parts, can anyone clarify if this is true or complete BS.

BBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSS! Try a brillo pad. You will get the same effect ;)

Fair play glad to hear its complete BS seemed too cheap and easy to do, might go around telling people with chrome spinners thats it the best way to clean their bling though................

I always thought brillo pads were only supposed to be used on newly painted cars :p