The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track days social group

SteveR

Most track days allow you to take out passangers and im sure a few of us that have done a couple can give you a few pointers. The one at Cadwell had 20 mins tuition included in the price and it was very good :)

If I was doing a track day in an auto id be using manu mode with overdrive off so you dont get any unexpected kick downs coming out of a corner :) Would still be fun though.

Without wanting to sound dumb, how does the manu and overdrive button work on the auto, what do they actually allow you to do, i havnt bothered touching them as of yet really, my god im a noob aint i lol.

Be good to be a passenger in with some of you guys going round the track but I think that would just make me want something much more powerful haha.

Virtually every professionally run track day on proper race circuits will have one or more instructors available. Going out with someone you know, or who has a similar car there is not a good idea, in my opinion. Human nature will prevail and you'll go faster than you either feel comfortable with or is prudent :) The proper ARDS instructors are trained to politely keep you in check, for your own, their own, and fellow track users safety and enjoyment.

An auto is just fine, but you need to operate it in manual mode so you KNOW when it's going to change gear, especially in the wet. Unwanted changes UP are just as unsettling as unwanted kick downs. I did countless track days in my virtually stock auto TT with no trouble save a healthy appetite for brakes and fuel :)

Just read up on my question!

I agree that if I went with someone I knew iin my car I would end up pushing it more due to not wanting to look crap so on my own would definately be wise for a good few tries first.

Sounds like there is a fair bit of experience from you guys for track days so im sure when I go to one if any of you are there I should beable to pick up lots of great tips from you lot.

I shall have a play around with the manual and o/d to get used to the difference and feel for the car

I'd recommend you play around with it in the dry at first. I live quite near to Oulton and would be happy to offer any help I can if I am not tied up with work. It's a fabulous circuit, have you ever spectated there?

No I'm just looking at the website now, does look bloody brilliant definately would be interested in having a go at the circuit.

I would appreciate any help I can get Chris so will definately take you up on the offer if you are able to offer any help at the time.

Thank you:)

No doubt there will be quite a few of us doing track days next year (Jo already has a thread up for Rockingham in March), just keep an eye out for any threads that pop up.

I'm sure any member will be willing to jump in the car with you if you want any tips or advice, just remember that most of us are still learning ourselves. I did my first trackday at Llandow last year, and I found it a lot better to go out on my own - I was nervous for the first few minutes but soon got in to it. :)

Since you haven't played with the Autobox yet I suggest you read Ian C's thread on the Autobox Modes of Operation. It may look slightly overwhelming but the Autobox is very simple to use, and it will soon become second nature.

In terms of preperation,

Service - Make sure you car has had a full service (and check your radiator cap! :taped: I have suffered rad cap failure as have a few other members, if it falls apart it WILL ruin your day.)

Brakes - Check brakes / discs / brake lines, make sure all are in good condition.

Tyres - Check tyres and pressures, get a pressure guage if you don't already have one (should be obvious, but I checked someones at Llandow this year and found over a 15psi difference between tyres :blink:). Your tyres should be good quality and have good treat, don't turn up with nankangs.

Helmet - If you don't already have one, get a suitable helmet. You MAY be able to rent one from the event organisers, though this would likely have to be booked in advance (I preferred to have my own NEW helmet, you only have one head).

I've run my NA Auto and NA 5spd on the track over the last year, and had tons of fun. You don't need a ridiculously quick car to learn, and whatever you have you will get overtaken - don't worry about it.

Will continue to do more research on it. Going to have a play around with the auto box when weather permits and see what it feels like in the different modes.

Waiting to here back from chris with regards to a good service and check over etc

Going to keep my eyes open at the upcoming track days!!

I've run my NA Auto and NA 5spd on the track over the last year, and had tons of fun. You don't need a ridiculously quick car to learn, and whatever you have you will get overtaken - don't worry about it.

Yeah that! I had most fun the day I blew my turbos - concentrating on corner speed and lines made it much more fun than just creeping round corners and hanging on the boost to make up time.

No doubt there will be quite a few of us doing track days next year (Jo already has a thread up for Rockingham in March), just keep an eye out for any threads that pop up.

Rockingham is class track, and the party atmosphere the night before is a laugh for those staying over. (GET it booked!)

Edited by Ark (see edit history)