The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do rear wheels need balancing?

jackso11

one of my rears needed over 300grms to balance it up on the inside equate that to the vibration it caused without it being done

300 grams !!!!!!!

Your rim must be buckled or the tyre has a fault in it or the guy on the balancer doesnt know what he's doing.

I'd be getting that checked as you really shouldn't need anything like that kind of weight to balance a wheel out.

one of my rears needed over 300grms to balance it up on the inside equate that to the vibration it caused without it being done

300grms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should get rid of that wheel and get a new one, that is a ridiculous amount of weight!

How did it get out of balance that much?

Weights on nice wheels should always be stuck on IMHO, looks far nicer with little flat weights that are out of the way.

I had 24grms on once and they told me the wheel should be looked at and reconditioned.

It might not be the wheel, ive seen brand new tyres be that far out and they were GoodYears.

Easy way to check is to remove the tyre and weights and run the wheel up on the balancer, if thats ok then its either the tyre or the balancing was done incorrectly or done on a faulty machine

If you have nice alloy wheels you only want stick on weights where ever they go, knock ons will destroy your outer lip if used as they will cut into the alloy and through the laquer.

Ive always had mine done on the inside of the rim with no problems and thats on large 19" wheels

thats what im saying , but the weighs nees to go up behind the spokes so they are as close to the outside of the wheel as they can be.

obviosly is someone goes towards your alloy with a knock on and a hammer shoot them before they get too close .( i have seen them smashed into alloy :( )

Ideally I would like the ones that are not on the outside due to the alloys, however they are curbed a fair bit (came that way) and there is a small dent in the rear one which I suspect has never been balanced.

Would simply buying a new set of alloys fix the issue?