The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New to the Forum

Guest M.R.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Hampshire are you? There's quite of few supra owners around this neck of the woods. :) Come along to a meet if you're anywhere near Basingstoke.

I can't really add much more than what the others have already said. I'd say get a TT if you want performance that stands out from the crowd. The NA isn't a slow car, but many nippy modern cars will probably keep up with it at low/medium speeds.

What the NA does do, and does well (if it's not abused or badly modified) is give you a fantastic looking car that's mechanically over-engineered, has very few major faults, is super reliable and fairly rapid.

You can pick up TT supras for £5k but at that price you have to bide your time and be wary of dogs.

Blimey you do alot of miles Dan, 12k in 18 months? I have done 4k 30months.

For the last year I've had 2 cars and done about 12k in the other one, too :)

I do a bit more than 250 in an average week (not including normal weekend trips out) and I've done a lot of trips around the country from Cheltenham to see friends - Sheffield, Lincoln, Barrow, Blackpool, Dorset, etc.

It adds up :)

Really, I have an Auto NA and love it, to say its DREADFULL is a slight exageration :blink:

I absolutely hated it. It might be ok for pottering about and getting stuck in traffic but it does nothing. Makes the car sound noisy with nothing happening. I felt powerless with it as I wanted to get into the powerband. There wasn't one with the auto box sapping up what little power there was though.

I've driven 3 now and hated all of them. Driven a couple of auto TT's and thought they were fine.

I'm guessing that your N/A is just for pottering about. If you want to have fun you would take out the single?

It's just my opinion though, and I wouldn't say I am in the position to be biased.

Yeah have to agree with that I lovd my NA auto. The auto makes the engine have a lazy feel but its not all bad :)

Felt dead to me, not just lazy. As above though, just an opinion :)

I'm guessing that your N/A is just for pottering about. If you want to have fun you would take out the single?

Yes and no, I have used the NA round the Silverstone GP circuit as well as few times round Brands Hatch, infact I have another Brands day coming up at which I will be using the NA again as the single isnt ready.

I've had an NA as a daily driver for 5 years and it's never let me down. I would recommend.

The auto box is probably the best I've ever driven, and is far from sluggish or intended for 'pottering about'... that's just rubbish.

As others have suggested I would test drive as many as you can (I found a fair few dogs before I found mine, which could be the contributing factor to some of the comments in this thread) and most importantly, take your time.

There is a TT vs. NA thing on here, but I think we all agree the Supra in any guise is a very reliable and capable car.

Good luck with the search :)

The auto box is probably the best I've ever driven, and is far from sluggish or intended for 'pottering about'... that's just rubbish.

Have you ever driven an auto Supra TT?

I owned an NA and a TT at the same time and drove both back to back many times depending on which was the easiest to get out of the driveway. In comparison to the TT the NA feels like it's "pottering about" - a relaxed cruiser rather than a roaring animal that wants to be let off it's leash. It drives like a newer 2.0T Audi A6 or a V6 Mondeo with less cup holders, it's smooth, it's nice, it accelerates and kicks down when you want it to... it just doesn't have the power on tap to back up it's promises.

Don't get me wrong here, the auto 'box is excellent on both cars, certainly a lot better than other offerings from the same era, especially in more mundane cars. It's still very primitive compared to a modern performance automatic and this is highlighted by the missing torque from the NA IMO.

Have you ever driven an auto Supra TT?

Nope. I am comparing it to an Audi A8, Merc ML (horrible) and a Merc CLS... all of them had that go! feel to them.

The TT is obviously going to be quicker, but I wouldn't describe the NA autobox as sluggish in any sense.. it's just a less powerful car.

The NA doesn't have the 'raw animal power' but it depends what you're looking for in a car. For 'round the houses' and the odd motorway cruise ther NA is more than enough.

0-60 in under 10 secs and comfortably cruising at 120-130 with no issues .. what more could you want from a 13 year old car?

The Auto box isn't the issue for me. I know its an outstanding box. The issue I have when it's in an N/A is the fact that it highlights how gutless the N/A is. With the manual box you can use what power there is. With the auto yes there is steady progression but you can't floor it and go, it makes a roar and slowly accelerates.

Having auto transmission saps up a fair whack of the power. Power the N/A can't afford to be without to keep it "nippy".

I have a ford focus. The thing is absolutely gutless but being a manual means that you can get the car to feel responsive. If it was an auto it would have exactly the same problem as the N/A does. A manual N/A feels much more alive and much more responsive than an auto. It's down to the power, and the properties of having an auto, not the box itself.

Again, all in my opinion.

I've come from an auto Soarer 2.5TT to my manual N/A Supra in the last few weeks.

While there is no doubt the N/A Supra is slower, it is still not slow with plenty of power available for day to day driving, or a bit of spirited driving on the odd occasion.

I was not looking for big power either and just in terms of purchase price alone I saved a few thousand in getting the N/A instead of a TT. Defo recommend it. Besides, if the choice is no Supra or a N/A Supra - it's no choice really, I'll have the Supra.

As for the auto vs manual. I wanted an auto and test drove a good few auto N/A Supra's and really liked how they drove.

Gearbox very willing to kick down and you can get up to licence losing speeds fairly quickly with an auto N/A. Lots of mid-range poke too where it would be handy for motorway/national route overtaking.

I ended up getting the manual I have as it was in much better shape than the auto's I saw here (Ireland).

I don't think you would be disapointed with a N/A auto and I think it suits the more relaxed driving associated with a N/A very well.

Hmmm you've given me some food for thought... I only thought of the N/A over the TT because of running costs, and also from past expierence of turbo cars when things do go wrong they go BIG £££ wrong... By the sounds of things I might be best going for a Manual N/A although I will see what my budget is like when I come to buy and if the right TT is available I might be pushed towards it... whatever way I love the look of the Supra and I want one :D

I live down Portsmouth way, well just up from there and might pop along next time there's a meet to have a chat with you guys...

Welcome.

£4-5K is a very healthy budget for an N/A car, personally, Iif its an N/A you want I'd probably try and look ahdr for a nice, straight, honest car for less than that as I personally don't see paying that sort of money for an N/A.

I can appreciate your views about not needing turbo performance etc and yes there is more to life etc so happy hunting.