The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anti roll bar droplink question...

Guest Suprafly

Guest Suprafly

I'm getting a slight fient knocking from the front and rear, so I've put it down to worn droplinks (I think anyway).

Now I have Tein HA coilovers fitted and my question is this..

Are the droplinks on the tein's the same size as stock?

If they are I'll just order some up from Mister-T, but if they're not then they'll be a bit more of a pain to aquire.

Anyone?

:search:

Drop links are standard items regardless of the coilovers you have fitted. As with all moving parts in the suspension, it's worth replacing them every now and them, but as has already been mentioned, most coilovers knock and rattle because they don't have nice rubber cushions like the factory item. Doesn't necessarily mean they are pooched.

Guest Suprafly

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the links, where they connect to the rollbar it's wet with as if the boot on the link joint has leaked, wear soon ensues.

But I'll still check the topmounts just incase.

I cant see the harm in changing the links anyway, as miko Supra says they're cheap.

Ark... I've had various coilovers on various cars in the past, but not the supra, and some of these cars the Tein's came with shorter links than stock, this is why I wanted to check first.

Thanks all.

Guest Suprafly

I've ordered them now, and if it isn't them then at least I'll have new links fitted, and I don't fancy the prospect of testing the car without the rollbar links.

Also the Tein HA's don't have pillowball topmounts, they're found on the superstreet type I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Suprafly

Ok, the new droplinks are fitted, but the knocking is still there but it's quieter, so It looks like the links wern't the only parts worn here, this is starting to turn into a process by illimination thing.

I'm now thinking lower arm ball joints, then failing that I'm going to replace all of the bushes.

Any further ideas or causes is much appreciated fellars.

*edit* - just to add, I'm not feeling any feedback through the steering wheel, so I've dismissed steering arm joints.

Edited by Suprafly (see edit history)

Ok, the new droplinks are fitted, but the knocking is still there but it's quieter, so It looks like the links wern't the only parts worn here, this is starting to turn into a process by illimination thing.

I'm now thinking lower arm ball joints, then failing that I'm going to replace all of the bushes.

Any further ideas or causes is much appreciated fellars.

when does it knock? Is it just over road bumps, or does it ever happen on smooth surfaces but when pulling away from a standstill, or at low speed (sub 30mph) when you go from almost lock to lock.....large radius roundabouts?

Subframe bolts and engine mounts are possible areas to eliminate from your enquiries :)

Guest Suprafly

It only knocks when driving over rough road surfaces like ripples, manhole covers, those painted lines you get before junctions, that sort of thing, never when driving over speed ramps or mounting curbs, or steering lock to lock, or pulling away, also it's front and rear.

This is why I thought droplinks initially.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Suprafly

Ok today it went in for a good inspection and it was found that I had loads of play on the front and rear anti roll bars, the problem is the anti roll bar bushes, so I'm going to fit some poly bushes this week.

Problem identified.

Guest Suprafly

Famous last words.... Problem NOT identified!

Replaced drop links and anti roll bar bushes and the knocking is still there, Today we had it on one of those shaking lifters to identify knocking causes, and none were found yet this annoying knocky rattle type noise still exists, I'm really baffled now.

The following have been checked off the list so far:

Bottom arm ball joints

Upper arm ball joints

Steering arm joints

Drop links

Anti roll bar bushes

Wheel bearings

Top mounts

We are starting to suspect the bushes where the upper arms connect to the chassis now, this has indeed turned into an ilimination thing which could go on for a long time and seeing me replacing the whole running gear, it's so frustrating.

I thought that shaker it was on today (which is designed to find faults) would point directly towards the problem, but found nothing wrong.

D'oh!

Guest Suprafly

Ok, you seem to know about tein's, now I have a question....

I had tein HA's on a Nissan Skyline a few years ago (same type as I have now on the supe) and when I jacked up the Skyline the wheels would lift with the car without dropping, with me?

Now I have noticed that whenever I jack up the supe the wheels drop down, is this a sign?

Ok, you seem to know about tein's, now I have a question....

I had tein HA's on a Nissan Skyline a few years ago (same type as I have now on the supe) and when I jacked up the Skyline the wheels would lift with the car without dropping, with me?

Now I have noticed that whenever I jack up the supe the wheels drop down, is this a sign?

It doesn't surprise me, the Skyline ones obviously had no droop travel at all, which is just ludicrous on anything other than a full on, modern chassis, circuit race car.

The fact the wheels drop a bit on the Supra just shows there's a BIT of droop in the suspension, but has sod all relevance as to whether they are knocking, or not. Just borrow some good stock dampers and see what happens re the noise. There's no other short cut really..

Guest Suprafly
It doesn't surprise me, the Skyline ones obviously had no droop travel at all, which is just ludicrous on anything other than a full on, modern chassis, circuit race car.

The fact the wheels drop a bit on the Supra just shows there's a BIT of droop in the suspension, but has sod all relevance as to whether they are knocking, or not. Just borrow some good stock dampers and see what happens re the noise. There's no other short cut really..

Sounds like you know your onions mate, because the Skyline was in fact a track prepped car.

I'll change the suspension then, it's the only way to be sure I guess, I'm just confused as to why the shock test today didn't point to that, surely it would have been apparent?