The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Skin Deep...

Wolf

If I was buying a bodykit now It would be from Paul E as the one I bought was total crap. Yep it looks mint now but was hours of fibreglassing blending and cutting and 2.5k damage to my wallet for the trouble

Crikey, this thread has turned into a bodywork nightmare one! :( Any clues who you bought from? PM if you'd like, as I wouldn't like to make the same mistake. Thanks.

Anything made of fibreglass will be crap to fit, will crack eventually and be a mare to paint - I think we all accept that on an after market part but my point was not about poor fit it was about dangerous lack of fixing...

I will actually disagree on that about fitting as too sweeping a statement Peter

If you compare them with stock stuff that the companies have spent millions refining - then of course they will be far less effecient

Also - on 10yr+ cars that have been through all sorts there may be fixing issues etc for bolt holes / wings off line / fronts dropped

But accept nothing less than very good - assuming 'perfect' is never going to be available!!

My beef is with these people that sell these crap kits KNOWING that they are shit because of past complaints - but keep churning them out anyway!! How many calls I have had who have just been told 'sold as seen' when they arrive and they are crap!

But people will always be seduced by 'saving' money initially - even if it means spending fortunes on getting them to fit later!

Well I can certainly recommend the Stillen you hooked me up with Paul - beautiful piece of kit , though you pay for the quality of course! Oh and BTW still no sills in the post this morning!!

Crikey, this thread has turned into a bodywork nightmare one! :( Any clues who you bought from? PM if you'd like, as I wouldn't like to make the same mistake. Thanks.

I named and shamed when it was fitted. Crazy Bodykits on ebay. The guy works for Badboys body styling in Birmingham so probably the same kits so stay clear of them. At the time he had 10 feedback at 100% not now though

TBH I can see where Dude is coming from more as I've messed about fitting FMIC's and bumpers in the past and realise the amount of adaptation that has to be made a lot of the time. I've also seen many drift cars that have the front bumper fastened on by only 4x cable ties, 2x on each side where it joins the wing, visible on the outside cos they drill 2 holes in the bumper and two in the wing on each side and loop them through. The thing is the bumpers stay on just fine like this and look ok other than seeing the cable ties but do what they are supposed to and snap when the driver has an off on the track..... this minimises the damage to the bumper itself and the FMIC and car as the bumper comes cleanly away from the car.

Cheers,

Brian.

You sod! I've just spent the last hour looking at Stillen fronts on here, thinking that was what I wanted (after changing my mind about 8 times now!)

Can we safely say then that you're lucky to get a decent fit on any of the aftermarket bodykits?

Well, see attached for the 'gap' under the passenger headlight ;) Note the rest of the fitment as well :thumbs:

My bodyshop bloke is a real pro, he likes to do a good job :)

-Ian

upload.jpg

TBH I can see where Dude is coming from more as I've messed about fitting FMIC's and bumpers in the past and realise the amount of adaptation that has to be made a lot of the time. I've also seen many drift cars that have the front bumper fastened on by only 4x cable ties, 2x on each side where it joins the wing, visible on the outside cos they drill 2 holes in the bumper and two in the wing on each side and loop them through. The thing is the bumpers stay on just fine like this and look ok other than seeing the cable ties but do what they are supposed to and snap when the driver has an off on the track..... this minimises the damage to the bumper itself and the FMIC and car as the bumper comes cleanly away from the car.

Cheers,

Brian.

Interesting the mention of cable ties , a trick i was told when i was diong loads of track days was to use cable ties to hold the F Glass race fairings on so that WHEN you crash the fairing can move and not tear and rip itself too shreds my whole fairing on my aprilia was held on with only 4 loom ties yet at snetterton nothing fell off down Revitt Straight which is prob 160 at the end or when i slid off at corum curve high up in 4th gear , the bike went so far i couldnt even see it when i stood up , the fairing was repairable (nylon crash bungs are wonderfull) ever since then ive been a believer in a bit of give , likewise if ever do punch anything hard enough to move the IC thats just what i want it to do move back and snap the mounting strips (bit cheaper than a new FMIC)

Dude :devil:

...ive been a believer in a bit of give , likewise if ever do punch anything hard enough to move the IC thats just what i want it to do move back and snap the mounting strips (bit cheaper than a new FMIC)

Like the willow, bends in the stong wind and survives to see yet another day...