The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which oil cooler for J-spec?

bodilx6

Yeah not exactly cheap, but it is a complete kit with all fitting included specifically to fit the Supra. Mine was on my car for 7 years and no problems throughout that time, so quality is good.

Seconded - they retail for around £650 I think. However, if you add up the cost of all that -10 hose, fittings, cooler, take-off plate and filter relocater, a DIY kit won't save much cash, especially when you factor in the hassle of making your own brackets and stuff.

Seconded - they retail for around £650 I think. However, if you add up the cost of all that -10 hose, fittings, cooler, take-off plate and filter relocater, a DIY kit won't save much cash, especially when you factor in the hassle of making your own brackets and stuff.

Yeah forgot to mention the HKS kit also includes relocation for the oil filter.

i dont know much about that particular kit but does the filter need relocating? :shrug:

No it doesn't *need* relocating, it just makes it a little easier to get at the oil filter come service time (not that the stock oil filter location is that difficult to access).

Has anyone heard of failing thermostats? I'm thinking that could be a really bad thing and maybe a known issue with cheaper brands? Is there anything else that I should look out for when choosing/fitting the cooler?

As Nic's scary story tells; when messing with the oil system, do it right the first time!

Has anyone heard of failing thermostats? I'm thinking that could be a really bad thing and maybe a known issue with cheaper brands? Is there anything else that I should look out for when choosing/fitting the cooler?

As Nic's scary story tells; when messing with the oil system, do it right the first time!

the mocal ones have a bolted in thermostat which isnt coming out in a hurry,

i thnk they should really be changed every few years or so, but thats just coming from me. car manufactures like bmw never really get changed untill the seals leak slightly