The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC ducting install

jevansio

The seller was called ForwardMetals, the sheet was 1m x 1m x 1.2mm (although you could maybe get away with 1m x 50cm), digging a link out now.

Any of these depending on size (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/forwardmetals/m.html?_nkw=+aluminium+sheet&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=1.2+aluminium+sheet&_osacat=0)

1.2mm seems to be a good thickness to cut yet retain it's shape, I'd guess I'd start to struggle to cut 1.5mm, any thinner & it may need support to retain it's shape. I used 0.5mm on the last one I made & that would be too thin without support, but was very easy to cut :)

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Finished this little job off tonight by securing the ducting to the cooler. I was going to epoxy glue tabs on the cooler & then bolt the ducting to them, but decided the ducting would never need removing so just rivited it straight to it using some ally strips.

Did 2 on the top & 2 on the bottom, it holds it very securely, although not air tight, it's good enough I imagine.

attachment.php?attachmentid=99001&stc=1&d=1253903211

attachment.php?attachmentid=99002&stc=1&d=1253903211

IMG_4386.jpg

IMG_4387.jpg

Looking good Jay, could you not use some clear silicone around the edges to get it air tight?

Maybe, I don't think it'll be an issue TBH, as long as the majority of air is passing through the cooler I don't think a 100% airtight seal will make that much of a difference over the tiny gap. If there is any issue the 1st thing I'll probably do is add a couple more straps with the unit off the car so I can get in better

Cheers George, I don't know bud, but I figure it's gotta help and it may also help getting more air over my rad as at the mo that 5" thick core must be pushing some air out the way, I may put some ducting in place for the rad too

Did you take a note of temps before hand and then well after your done, after a good spirited drive?? Might follow suit if the readings are good?? :D