The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me some NICE alloys please...

Jamesy

Hello, I had Ultralites on my 200sx. Personally I thought they were lovely to look at and very deep dish on my car. (8.5fronts, 9.5rears) image

The only thing I found was that Tar stuck to them very easily (that was probably my lazyness for not washing often enough) and they have a sticking out lip so very easy to curb and hard to repair as they are 'Diamond cut??' BUT They are sooo light!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an 8.5" rim with 35 offset, moving up to a 9.5" wheel, to keep the same outer edge, you need a 48 offset.

yep, right i get it now - so as your moving an inch WIDER you have to push the offset higher to keep the outter edge the same...gotcha. :D

however i want these to be WIDE and stretched just like this one pictured below so i will be wanting a lower number offset....just dont know what it'll be - hopefully they'll have a couple of pre-set offsets for the supra i can choose from... ;)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NRSDCBt4i-U/SZXNB3Pcp2I/AAAAAAAACOo/urwz9okIuRI/Impreza%20wagon.jpg

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

Rota Grid are the direct competition for the TE37

I got TE37's and they rock but in the sizes your looking at you will need a new mortgage.

James

is this them dude? if so they look identical pretty much. are the TE37's more expensive then?

(thanx for the pm :D)

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Mike%20Garrett/The%20101/Wheels/wheels1.jpg

lol. Stick with the rotas Very nice! I haven't got any decent photo's of my car yet, Only had it a few weeks. But here's a pic of a wheel from the net. Not as simular as I thought... http://wheelworx.com.au/stock_wheels/Rays/thumbs/TE37GM.jpg

There's a rubbish photo in my garage but really doesn't do my car any justice at all

yeah that photo is a bit out of sync mate but looks a nice car ;)

i like these but will stick with the GRIDS i think :D

yep, right i get it now - so as your moving an inch WIDER you have to push the offset higher to keep the outter edge the same...gotcha. :D

however i want these to be WIDE and stretched just like this one pictured below so i will be wanting a lower number offset....just dont know what it'll be - hopefully they'll have a couple of pre-set offsets for the supra i can choose from... ;)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NRSDCBt4i-U/SZXNB3Pcp2I/AAAAAAAACOo/urwz9okIuRI/Impreza%20wagon.jpg

Well, you know your width choice, so go from there. Find someone else with 9.5 fronts and 10 rears (if they're the sizes you want) by snooping through garages, once you see a wheel that sits the way you like the look of, ask them what the offsets are, then go from there.

I have 8.5 on the front of mine and 10" rear.

The 10" rear is a 43 offset, which sounds like a lot, but factor in the width of the wheel and it sits nice.

These wheels have 275's fitted, and they're still slightly stretched inwards. If you go for a more agressive offset wheel, you'll need to stretch the tyres over more to keep them under the arch, you also may have to fettle the arch to stop it fouling.

9.5 front is starting to push it a little, you'll quite probably find you'll get rubbing IMO. If you want to go that wide, I'd stick with 9.0 on the front, 255/35 tyres. I think you'll find you'll need a bigger offset on the front too.

10.0 on the back should be fine, 275 or 285/30's. Again I think 30 offset may be a little low though.

9.5 front is starting to push it a little, you'll quite probably find you'll get rubbing IMO. If you want to go that wide, I'd stick with 9.0 on the front, 255/35 tyres. I think you'll find you'll need a bigger offset on the front too.

10.0 on the back should be fine, 275 or 285/30's. Again I think 30 offset may be a little low though.

ut-ohh you've thrown me lol

i though it was 235 tyres front (on a 9.5" wheel) and 255 tyres rear (over a 10" wheel)

will the 18x9.5 rub even with 235 tyres?

and the rears with 255 tyres?

or will it look better getting wide arse tyres on them and have the arches rolled a tad?

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

ut-ohh you've thrown me lol

i though it was 235 tyres front (on a 9.5" wheel) and 255 tyres rear (over a 10" wheel)

will the 18x9.5 rub even with 235 tyres?

and the rears with 255 tyres?

or will it look better getting wide arse tyres on them and have the arches rolled a tad?

If you're going with stock tyre widths then why bother getting wheels that wide? 9.0 (let alone 9.5) is too wide a wheel for 235, and if you're sticking with 255 on the rear then 9.5 is a better match.

255 on the front? man that's gonna steer like a damn train isn't it unless you get some suspension fettling done? :blink:

I found 235 fronts were the best, 245s started feeling a bit bad and the car started tramlining in grooves on the A roads and motorways. 245s did give me less wear on the shoulder parts of the tyres though.

If you're going for looks go for it, but it'll handle awful imho. The 8.5' Rotas on the front are fine and look fine, yes the spoke layours are different and flatter and don't look as nice as the staggered inclined spoke on the 9.5 wheel. 8.5J = 235-245. 9.5J = 255-275. 10J you're looking at 265-285.

If you had 4WD I'd probably agree to go 9.5J all round, but not with as some have said the wider and accentuated rear of the Supra. 9.5J front and rear would look good on something like an R33/R34 GTR and it has the lines to handle it.

Yeah you could go with trafficstars........

But i guarentee that they will only look like this for 3 months tops then you'll have to spend a fortune refurbing them and then you will find that most alloy refurb companies wont touch them.................

So from personal experience, I wouldnt bother ;)

255 on the front? man that's gonna steer like a damn train isn't it unless you get some suspension fettling done? :blink:

I found 235 fronts were the best, 245s started feeling a bit bad and the car started tramlining in grooves on the A roads and motorways. 245s did give me less wear on the shoulder parts of the tyres though.

If you're going for looks go for it, but it'll handle awful imho. The 8.5' Rotas on the front are fine and look fine, yes the spoke layours are different and flatter and don't look as nice as the staggered inclined spoke on the 9.5 wheel. 8.5J = 235-245. 9.5J = 255-275. 10J you're looking at 265-285.

If you had 4WD I'd probably agree to go 9.5J all round, but not with as some have said the wider and accentuated rear of the Supra. 9.5J front and rear would look good on something like an R33/R34 GTR and it has the lines to handle it.

I agree.

If it's only for the looks, you can go very wide.

I am running 8.5J on the front with 235-35, and 9.5J on the rear with 265-30, which is more than enough imo (unless the power output requires wider rears).

You have to bear in mind that you might be loosing some power at the wheels when going to wide.