The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Problem number 1!

James

I can imagine it was probably new pants time when it happened!

I was going to get a good few weeks blasting about once i've finished doing all my rear bushes before I saw to the pulley but yeah I guess i'll have to do this sharpish :(

Yeah that's the part number for the pulley, I got a new bolt as well (90119 - 18002). You gonna have a bash at fitting it yourself or you going to give it to a garage?

Yeah I had no idea that it was a "common" issue so I was totally pale until I retrieved it from along the road and managed to find where it came from! In saying that, I was still very nervous about it until I got onto the forum and researched it!

Yeah, if you've got one, be aswell to do it. Just incase ya know. It seems so spontaneous that I'd make it a priority for sure! Your car is 3 years newer than mine though for what that is worth, so may not be as worn out :)

Yeah I'll get a new bolt just incase I have to go a bit too intense in getting the current one free.

Yeah I'll have a shot at it. I'm sure Nick(amsweet if you remember him from other forums we won't name :lol:) will help aswell :)

That small circular device looks familiar! Mine fell off very sneakily though, I didn't even notice (bignum found it when we were checking my bonnet catches :D).

I would take it to a garage to check nothing else was damaged. The bearing had gone in my viscous fan (which may have been the cause) and the aux belt was slightly chewed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem sorted!!!

It was £80 for a bearing puller big enough (210mm I think it was) so just made a tool instead (£10!). Thick bit of metal, 2x M8 60mm bolts, big socket and ta-da!

Getting it back on required another tool to wedge against to stop the outside spinning whilst tightening the centre bolt.

Took the spark plugs out and used a breaker (angled down from the centre bolt towards the passenger side for those who don't know which way it turns ;)) then used the starter to shock the bolt and it was easy from there.

Tensioning the auxiliary belt was nice and simple aswell, just make sure to follow the diagram for where it goes correctly of course :)

So all is well with the car again! Power steering is fine and the air con works and, as those are run from that belt, it's holding up fine.

Much praise to Garage Whifbitz! Ordered on the Thursday and the pulley damper assembly was in stock yet the centre bolt wasn't going to be in until Monday thus me receiving either Tuesday (today) or Wednesday. The package arrived yesterday!

Props to Mr Whiffin! :)

I think this pulley is becoming one of the vital bits on the list to examine/change as a matter of precautionary maintenance when buying another supra. I'm surprised we don't have a technical thread somewhere listing bits it's good to change at certain ages i.e crank pulley, aux belt pre-tensioner, aux belt, suspension arms (for the perishing bushes), front main seal, rear main seal etc.

Problem sorted!!!

It was £80 for a bearing puller big enough (210mm I think it was) so just made a tool instead (£10!). Thick bit of metal, 2x M8 60mm bolts, big socket and ta-da!

Getting it back on required another tool to wedge against to stop the outside spinning whilst tightening the centre bolt.

Took the spark plugs out and used a breaker (angled down from the centre bolt towards the passenger side for those who don't know which way it turns ;)) then used the starter to shock the bolt and it was easy from there.

Tensioning the auxiliary belt was nice and simple aswell, just make sure to follow the diagram for where it goes correctly of course :)

So all is well with the car again! Power steering is fine and the air con works and, as those are run from that belt, it's holding up fine.

Much praise to Garage Whifbitz! Ordered on the Thursday and the pulley damper assembly was in stock yet the centre bolt wasn't going to be in until Monday thus me receiving either Tuesday (today) or Wednesday. The package arrived yesterday!

Props to Mr Whiffin! :)

I always try my best, glad your cars sorted again.

Ta