The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dont need a tt?

liam1

After being in both, I have to say that the standard TT doesn't really feel that much faster than an N/A, If your going BPU then it's worth it, if not, then the TT doesn't really offer much more than an N/A.

Hahaha :D You either can't drive or drove a dog of a car. The performance difference between the two is very substantial.

Might just be my train of thought, but I see a pecking order when I think of groups of Japanese cars.

Supras, Skylines, Evos, Imprezas.

There are 4 very known Japanese cars.

To me - keep with me here I'm speaking in a roughly general way, not down to a T with my comparisons - the Evo and Impreza are about on a par. They are the rally cars for the road, very quick, reasonably square/boxy looks and are good fun.

Following that you have the Supras and Skylines. They are the big grand tourers. They have more presence, nicer lines, more luxuries and the ability to spank those "lesser" cars with relative ease and lack of effort in doing so.

To be above the Impreza and Evo, they need to be quick. An NA Supra is not enough to do so.

I know it's a silly way of thinking about it, but I do feel that in terms of a "pecking order" that the Supra and Skyline are right at the top and to command that position they need that power aswell.

The NAs are great cars by all means, but, personally, when I think of a Supra, I think FAST. To me, the NA isn't that anymore. Depends what you're being relative to of course, but when EK9 Civics, DC2 Integras, VXR Astras etc. etc. will all go by them, that's not enough.

Obviously aswell it depends what you want from the car and what you see it as.

This is my view - and may be mine only - and it makes me so happy that I chose to have a TT (well, NA-TT).

I'd sooner have gotten bored of a facelift 6spd SZ-R (NA) than the 5spd non facelift SZ-TT :)

..I'm with you on the aero top, they are very cool. Can't comment on the TT but, personally, I'd just considered it a kind of natural progression...loving my N/A very much tho.

For me.. the power of the TT for those 'moments' it would really be nice or handy is the idea...but...it's all about looks, the Soop is just a beautiful car..and that's what hooked me many years ago...simply turning heads makes me feel good.

The N/A is still a fast car by general standards, compared to the 'average' car on the road...imo

Good luck with whatever you decide!

This is the problem i have with my n/a. The amount of times i have had all sorts of rubbish cars or cars that i dont think are in the supras league trying to tailgate me, mini coopers, golfs, bmw's, audi tt's. Its a great car but i dont want cars that i think are crap overtaking me. The supra deserves the power to match its looks. So im getting the tt transplant done in september and cannot wait. :eyebrows:

:) This is so true could not belive i could not gain on a golf tdi one bit, ( my n/a was a good 224.8bhp)

Lucky i had 3k saved up and i was going to sell my supra and buy a evo, but when i found out how cheap the n/a-TT was i booked in it asap.(plus supra for looks is 10 times better than a evo imo)

Since ive had TT in, i have not had nothing overtake me or been up my arse,a merc tried his luck on the motorway up my backside till i put my foot down and waved him good bye.

For me and for now, my N/A is just awesome. As first cars go - she's very quick and amazing to look at.

Some day I might get a TT (or a single), but that won't be for a year or more. Currently enjoying doing up my N/A the way I think she should look.

I'm enjoying driving the car so much that I don't worry about turbos and the like. It's just more that can break, after all ;)

Originally Posted by Mike

I've had my NA for nearly 5 years, and I use it every day... it's never let me down, and if it was any quicker I would probably be dead or in jail by now

For me, it's massively reliable car which looks the bollocks

Originally Posted by Animal

I've had my N/A for about 5 years, used every day and doing at least 300 miles a week with only a couple of minor breakdowns (mostly just down to general age & wear). The power is more than adequate for day to day use and a TT would feel like a bit of a waste if it didn't get me into trouble.

Occasionally I think it'd be fun to have 400+ BHP, but my money is better spent at the minute and it woulndn't get used to it's full potential often enough.

I couldn't agree more with you two gentlemen. This is exactly how I feel about my NA.

I also concur. Time was when I used to hare around, trying to race M3s and 5s off of roundabouts, that I would have preferred the extra grunt of the TT, but now with age and maturity my NA is perfectly adequate. It still gives that kick in the stomach of acceleration and as it gets very old, the bouncy suspension make it feel every bit as dangerous as a faster car.