The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bleeding the cooling system

Guest ro66ie

Guest Supra2
Removing the `stat is a very bad idea, the engine will almost certainly fail to reach correct running temps, and if it DOES reach them it will take ages. It will run rich during this time, with excess engine wear and fuel consumption. It's a bypass type `stat, too, which makes it even worse if you remove it...

hi chris,

on a more technical note, we removed the stat on my mates car that is running around 800bhp on a good day, at the track he probably runs around 600bhp.

he is also running aem ems, he has full control over the fueling etc so he tuned his car to finish the cold start at around 65c, when crusing on the motorway its at around 72c coolent temps. when he's on th track pelting it its around 80-82c. he has a 2.82" thick aluminum rad which helps cooling too.

on a vehicle like this with this type of setup would it not be ok?

with the stat in the car the temps are at least 12% more accross the above conditions.

i can understand on a totally stock oem motor the stat would be best left in.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks chris.

:)

Some threads have been deleted ;)

Anywhere they can be viewed?:innocent:

I was following this guy's ravings last night until I really had to leave work and get some sleep.

I come into work this morning and low and behold, he is banned, surely thats a record for the least number of posts submitted by a member resulting in a ban!!

Anywhere they can be viewed?:innocent:

I was following this guy's ravings last night until I really had to leave work and get some sleep.

I come into work this morning and low and behold, he is banned, surely thats a record for the least number of posts submitted by a member resulting in a ban!!

yeah I reckon so, just interested in what he said that was so bad? ;)

Does it matter? he was an idiot, job done, no need to debate it...

I don't understand why removing the stat will make any difference once the car is up to temp (unless I'm missing something!)

I'm not an expert, but I imagine (if you look at the design of a typical thermostat and the fact it's an in-line valve) that even when open, it will provide a fair amount of restriction to the flow of coolant, compared to the no-thermostat situation.

I've run a Rover Metro with no thermostat for a couple of weeks once, as a temporary fix to prevent overheating because of an elderly radiator. The temperature gauge needle pretty much didn't budge. I think I saw it lift off of the cold line a little bit on only one occasion, after I'd climbed a 1-in-5 hill. :D

With no thermostat, you can really see the coolant rip through the Metro's system.

My MR2 had a knackered thermostat that was permanently open, it never pumped out warm air, and would only ever reach operating temperature when stuck in traffic. As soon as it was rolling it would go back down to no temperature.

It definately destroyed the mpg and in the winter was on permanent choke, never idled quite right as a result.

I had a problem with my stat so i took it out, BUT i dont have a viscous fan so my engine comes upto temp quite quick, choke goes off at around 67 and my car runs at around 75 - 85 so seems ok, i have a thermostat that turns the fans on (2x 12") at around 90 then go back off at 80, and are on most times, while the weather is worm i suupose this will be ok but when the winter come's i may have to refit 1 will see.

I think with a viscous fan fitted removing the stat is a bad idea because if i turn my fans on (overide button) from cold it will never come off choke, and stays at around 50 - 60 for age's.

Wrong section lol sorry.

Edited by little num
ADDED INFO ABOUT ANOTHER THREAD. (see edit history)