The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Registration plate on Top Secret bumper

martini

Going to try and figure out this stuff from http://opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20022687.htm - I am having a bomex fitted and dont know exactly where to fit, where is legal, what I can and cannot do etc.. Should make for some nice nightime reading!

From what ive gathered so far on these forums....

Driving without one in visible sight on the front = max £30 fine and producer - no points

Driving with one visible in the windscreen = £30 fine + 3 points + producer

Driving with one not mounted vertically = £30 fine + 3 points + producer

Driving with one not meeting regulations (size, angle, spacing) = £30 fine + 3 points + producer

....And to be very polite and helpful if/when stopped (which I always am :) )

so.. when I pick my car up.. I figure ill drive with the number plate in the back seat until I get home, then figure out where to put it! pretty convinced ill get stopped though because I look young (blessing and a curse!) - but my original plate is damaged so need to get a new one too :(

You will not get an endorsable ticket for VRM plate failing to comply with regulations.

A fixed penalty can be issued which is non endorsable but along with seat belt offences number plates have increased from £30 to £60 (no points)

The offence you would be committing would be VRM failing to comply 2001 regulations. There are other offences of keeping a vehicle without a VRM displayed also.

Be very careful about the legislation regarding imports as it is a very grey area and you may still find yourself with a ticket and in order to get the matter quashed elect to have the matter heard at a magistrates court.

HTH

Im realising just how grey it is AdzC, easy to see how it can be interpreted wrong too.

from craigsplates.com:

"DVLA do not specify the size of plate your vehicle must display but do specify the font you must use, the height of this font, minimum margin size, gap between lines (if a two line plate) etc. If your vehicle qualifies as an imported vehicle and can satisfy the above criteria then you can legally display a plate with bike size font (64mm) rather than the standard UK car size font (79mm). DVLA do not specify the gap between two-line registrations nor the minimum margin for imports. "

From the 2002 regulations..

"" Size and spacing of characters: special cases

14A. - (1) This regulation applies in relation to any vehicle imported into the United Kingdom which -

(a) does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval; and

(b) is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

(2) In relation to a vehicle to which this regulation applies -

(a) each character in the registration mark must be 64 millimetres high;

(b) the width of each character of the mark, other than the letter "I" and the figure "1", must be 44 millimetres;

© the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a mark must be 10 millimetres;

(d) the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10 millimetres;

(e) the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5 millimetres;

(f) the width of a margin between the mark and the top and lateral sides of the registration plate must be not less than 5 millimetres;

(g) the space between the bottom of the mark and the bottom of the registration plate must be not less than 13 millimetres; but, within that space, the space between the bottom of the mark and the top of the name and postcode of the person by whom the plate was supplied must be not less than 5 millimetres."[3]"

My calculations come out at:

Oblong shape.. 6 digit reg.. minimum legal height / width:

Height = 82mm

Width = 324mm

Square shape 6 digits minimum legal height / width:

Height = 156mm

Width = 162mm

Above assuming no 1 or I in the reg.

Does that look right? It wouldnt have a space on the oblong in between the two groups of numbers so might look a bit strange.

Edited by JS2004 (see edit history)

I would strongly advise that you go as legal as possible.

Don't go for italic or any font which is not standard UK style and don't go stupidly small. With the increase of ANPR cameras you will get pulled and prosecuted, it will only be a matter of time.

a98pmalcolm's photo above clearly shows that you can get as near to legal as possible.

Yeah agree totally :) I want it to be legal for definate, but at the same time not look silly. Says on craigsplates.com the standard UK size number plate is 520mm wide by 111mm high, or 280mm by 2033mm, theyre huge!

a98pmalcolms looks good, still deciding on square or oblong though - and if no mounting space on the bomex ill try and attach it to the wire mesh (anything to avoid drilling into bumper.. im liable to naff it up) as a few on here have done :)

I dont fancy drilling into the front. I would be focusing too much on not messing it up and end up messing it up..

Found a pic of a bomex.. i can just make out what looks like a plate mounting bracket of some sort - have not seen the bumper properly yet, but perhaps the bomex comes with a pre-allocated area for the plate which will mean I can stop trying to figure out where to put it!

http://www.zteamyossi.com/image/wallpapers/zty_supra_1024.jpg

Im leaning towards the oblong shaped, as the square one on my stock bumper was rubbing on the bottom and had damaged the paintwork underneath the bottom part of it.. which I dont want happening with the new bumper.

Gone slightly off topic here I know - apologies to OP.

..go oblong, tractor plates look horrid on the front imo.

I picked up a 3/4 size front plate from funkyplates and have had no issues.. just keep the font legible, it's smaller but still easy to read from a distance..

As for location.. on my old Land Rover I used to have the place screwed to the front of the roof..maybe a lesser target vehicle than a soop..but again, no problems for me

:)

mmmmm nice!! Loving black wheels on black..I'd always thought that would be my move come powdercoatin time.. that's convinced me!

:drool:

mm.. I like :) been thinking about trying to move my side indicators down near the front like that too..

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

There not indicators but driving lights, front and rear come on with the side lights

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

There not indicators but driving lights, front and rear come on with the side lights

My mistake :) they look good though.

Im ordering my pate today, will be oblong and going for as small as is legally allowed by the regulations. gonna get a pic up once its sorted out too ;)