The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car mad styling skirts

pjavon

Guest wanabe supra
Well that was a waste of time trying to sort out a group buy when they offer the discount anyway :( Wasted hours of the moderators and traders time trying to get a better offer, not impressed one bit, especially as they were originally offering these at well over £220 per set (last week)

The add is only there to disguise a GB/discount to get business from here, IMO.

The car.mad group buy that was put forward to yourselfs was allways set at £165 but you refused it as you wanted to go with your trader. which i can understand as they have paid the traders fee. But wether or not you accepted our price they were always going to be listed at this price if the group buy failed.

Are the ones you purchased the "oem" ones in the pics in your 'rebuild' thread? Only reason I ask is that I wouldn't be happy with those at all!

I dont know why you would not be happy with them as the skirts and spats are taken off genuine parts. so the fit and quality is as good as the oem

Many thanks Dave :)

Sorry if you feel you've wasted your time, but i did only show an interest in tha thread as there was going to be a GB and i had already been looking at these. I did post to ask for pics/fitment and got no answers so decided to go with my origianal plan. As i happens i think you are right, they were about £220, but if the lower price has anything to do with the forum i don't know.

The car.mad group buy that was put forward to yourselfs was allways set at £165 but you refused it as you wanted to go with your trader. which i can understand as they have paid the traders fee. But wether or not you accepted our price they were always going to be listed at this price if the group buy failed.

Correct, the GB price was offered at £165, but we went with Knight racer as they have far more experience organising group buys and are known quantity. They also offered their full returns policy which for the sake of the additional money we though worth the safety for members here. I thought I had explained this already.

You seem to have missed the point I was making, in that the cms offer on ebay only showed up after the GB request was made here, previously they were overed at over £220, therefore making this a veiled attempt at a GB. However if people want to buy them it's not out concern, just caused us a lot of wasted time if they had been straight with us in the first place.

I dont know why you would not be happy with them as the skirts and spats are taken off genuine parts. so the fit and quality is as good as the oem.

Lol, that is nothing like OEM, you can clearly see the uneven finish on the lower edge of the skirt, this is very common is "less than perfect" copies and needs a lot of work to correct. The top edge of the skirt where it meets the rear wing also shows the flex and unevenss of with some copies.

I've had skirts that were exactly the same as those (same issues) before and ended up chucking them away and getting some real OEM. The quality difference between the two is night and day.

PS: What is your involvement with CMS? From the working in your post it indicates you have some involvement with the company.

Edit - nevemind, just remembered who you are and the trader application...

Guest wanabe supra
Correct, the GB price was offered at £165, but we went with Knight racer as they have far more experience organising group buys and are known quantity. They also offered their full returns policy which for the sake of the additional money we though worth the safety for members here. I thought I had explained this already.

You seem to have missed the point I was making, in that the cms offer on ebay only showed up after the GB request was made here, previously they were overed at over £220, therefore making this a veiled attempt at a GB. However if people want to buy them it's not out concern, just caused us a lot of wasted time if they had been straight with us in the first place.

Lol, that is nothing like OEM, you can clearly see the uneven finish on the lower edge of the skirt, this is very common is "less than perfect" copies and needs a lot of work to correct. The top edge of the skirt where it meets the rear wing also shows the flex and unevenss of with some copies.

I've had skirts that were exactly the same as those (same issues) before and ended up chucking them away and getting some real OEM. The quality difference between the two is night and day.

PS: What is your involvement with CMS? From the working in your post it indicates you have some involvement with the company.

Edit - nevemind, just remembered who you are and the trader application...

Hi

I am Dave from carmad I am a one man band working by myself and for my self.

They have not been listed for a while as i have had to do work on my moulds. Ever since they were taken off i have had email after email asking for a set. So when i knew once they were back on they would be very popular.

Then i had 5 members asking about a group buy so i held off the listing as i would not be able to cope with the demand of the group buy and ebay. (as i have to also do all the sanding and wrapping etc)

Once i had found out that you had gone for Knight Racer (which i fully understand) i listed them at the price i was going to do anyway.

It wasnt aimed at you or the forum in anyway.

As for the fit like i said they are as good as oem as the moulds were taken off them. Granted they will never be 100% as that is the nature of fiberglass and it is costanly moveing etc. There is nothing you can do about that. This is where a decent bodyshop comes in. Have a look at a wide arch car of example or a tvr or lotus or carbon bonnets etc they will all have ripples

Also granted there is alot of rubbish out there but please dont tar everyone with the same brush. Just because i am on Ebay dosnt mean they will not fit or are a very poor standerd.

You have got to give people a chance. There are many many bits of my kits on this site and they are very happy. Its just not nice to read things like you said on the other page

Ps i never fully applied for a tradership. as i could not aford the cost :)

Edited by wanabe supra (see edit history)

Sorry but if your referring to me wasting your time and not being straight can you explain how? because if i have i will certainly apologies but other than put a post asking about peoples opinions on these skirts i don't see what is wrong.

Also granted there is alot of rubbish out there but please dont tar everyone with the same brush. Just because i am on Ebay dosnt mean they will not fit or are a very poor standerd.

This is the problem, people have a bad experience with a copied kit and think everyone else's is the same which is not always the case.

I am same as you Dave, work by myself for myself and had to build up a good reputation in the MR2 world but still get people try and pull me down because I make "COPIES", but I make sure everything fits and looks right before I make moulds. I have made moulds from originals what people have loaned me but then ditched the original for one of mine.

As you know Dave I have your OEM kit on my car and have no problems with the quality or fit. Keep up the good work :thumbs:

If people want to pay extortionate prices for originals then thats their choice.

I know this thread is not about me but it makes me mad that everyone gets tarred with the same brush.

Admin

Delete if you see fit.

Hi

I am Dave from carmad I am a one man band working by myself and for my self.

They have not been listed for a while as i have had to do work on my moulds. Ever since they were taken off i have had email after email asking for a set. So when i knew once they were back on they would be very popular.

Then i had 5 members asking about a group buy so i held off the listing as i would not be able to cope with the demand of the group buy and ebay. (as i have to also do all the sanding and wrapping etc)

Once i had found out that you had gone for Knight Racer (which i fully understand) i listed them at the price i was going to do anyway.

It wasnt aimed at you or the forum in anyway.

As for the fit like i said they are as good as oem as the moulds were taken off them. Granted they will never be 100% as that is the nature of fiberglass and it is costanly moveing etc. There is nothing you can do about that. This is where a decent bodyshop comes in. Have a look at a wide arch car of example or a tvr or lotus or carbon bonnets etc they will all have ripples

You have got to give people a chance. There are many many bits of my kits on this site and they are very happy. Its just not nice to read things like you said on the other page

Ps i never fully applied for a tradership. as i could not aford the cost :)

Okay, thanks for clarifying. The listing is done offsite so there's no issue with you offering these of course, it would just have been nice to know before sorting out an alternative GB.

To be fair the price is very, very good.

I've very fussy when it comes to quality and personally wouldn't be happy with the finish posted in the previous pic, but then people all have different ideas of what they consider acceptable. Some people are clearly pleased, but that might not be the case for all hence the need for a clear and easy (guarenteed) returns policy when orgnaising an official club GB.

Sorry but if your referring to me wasting your time and not being straight can you explain how? because if i have i will certainly apologies but other than put a post asking about peoples opinions on these skirts i don't see what is wrong.

No, not you, probably my fault more than any for not contacting CMS directly before the GB options came in. If the price was to be offered extenally without the club signoff needed then a GB wouldn't have been needed anyway.

So, now folks have two options at least:

£165 from CMS via the ebay site

£190 from Knight-racer via the club GB

Guest wanabe supra

Hi Homer

That is compleatly fine and i fully understand where you are comming from. Just a lot of miss comunication :)

By Law everyone has a returns policy. and i like to think i am a nice guy and if there was a problem with an item. Then it would of been replaced. or the item returned for a full refund.

As everyone should know. you cannot please everyone but we will try our hardest.

And if there was any room on here for another trader i would love to become one ;)

to be fair there isnt that much wrong in the 1st pic and dannos looks spot on. Obviously they could be better but so could everything else in life lol!!! :)

@ Soaruss thanks for your kind words. ;)

Edited by wanabe supra (see edit history)

As for the fit like i said they are as good as oem as the moulds were taken off them...

This post isnt directed at any individual, just a general comment that anyone thinking of buying a composite kit should bear in mind when making a purchase.

Since 'replica' composites are generally hand made (and not machined like rubber/plastic oem parts), a composite is only as 'perfect' as the original part its mold was produced from (to echo what Dave said above).

Sometimes composite manufacturers will be making molds from brand new mint panels, other times they will be making molds from battered panels that required lots of work to make the mold acceptable for production (im doing a nissan 240rs bonnet which falls into this category at the moment).

If you're not working with a brand new mint panel, then you can only commit so much time into making a mold of acceptable production quality before you start to lose money on it (unless you have a rich client lol).

Other quality issues to look for would be:

:: Is the thickness of the composite even throughout and around the edges (areas where layers overlap can cause bulges that may affect aligning)

:: Are there any visible air bubbles that may cause problems down the line, such as when you come to paint it.

:: Is it of acceptable weight and stiffness? Most of the time when it comes to composites, the saying "you get what you pay for" couldnt be more applicable, though there are manufacturers that prove that saying wrong and do provide quality products at reasonable prices. The thickness will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer depending upon the type of composite and the amount of material used. For example: most replica body kits are of GRP (Glass Reinforced Platic) composition. A GRP composite made from 1 layer of 2 ounce CSM (Chop Strand Mat) will be lighter than one that is made from 2 layers of 2 ounce CSM (the latter providing more stiffness than the former).

I'd imagine the OEM parts have some flex in them, so making a mold of a flexible part can cause issues unless you mold it whilst it is fitted to a car (I've done this before and it can be a nightmare of a job). At the end of the day I think Daves price is great (and Knight Racers for that matter) for a set of OEM skirts.

:)

Edited by Angarak (see edit history)

Guest wanabe supra

@ Angarak everything you have said on there is spot on :)

Hi Jurgen I would love to see a link for the pics

Cheers Dave :)