The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I'm doing it wrong!

cheekymonkey

I'm wondering if taking the headlight out and the front of the airbox off will be of use. Or maybe I'll get a spare airbox front and duct some pipework properly :)

I am running a stock air box now, but in the past I had an ARC intake which sucked in so much hot air I used to do drag runs with the headlight out. Next time I might try removing airbox and headlight but I only had 4 runs yesterday.

Perhaps Supra Pod is the time to play.

I am running a stock air box now, but in the past I had an ARC intake which sucked in so much hot air I used to do drag runs with the headlight out. Next time I might try removing airbox and headlight but I only had 4 runs yesterday.

Perhaps Supra Pod is the time to play.

Bag of ice in the airbox maybe :p

you are right that a manual is quicker on paper but you would have to pull off a perfict shift every time. very big debate on this so much so there pritty much the same if your good at it

It isn't really a debate as the times are known. There isn't a lot between BPU autos and manuals when the drivers are good and there is a TC involved. The auto's just edge it. When you take away the TC the manuals are faster.

Have a search for an in car video of a fast manual time and you will see the shifting that's required. One of our foreign members posted one a few years back. Think he got an 11.6 or something like that.

Autos won't be faster, the manual drivers just need to have less sympathy. Hi stall is the only way to be quicker than a manual and even then it's marginal.

Very wrong scott on one point, the manual will NEVER change as fast as a built auto box which shifts so fast you cannot hear it and changes at full throttle without letting off, the built auto will easily knock a second off the 1/4 mile time if not more as will a clutchless seq box. You are completly correct in that the wrong choice of converter is akin to glueing the car to the line, plus you cannot fluff the shift in an auto, I completly missed 4th at the pod which meant the last 100metres or so was a roll across the line that prob cost a good half second. Also the auto is a lot more consistant and easier to launch BUT it has MANY downsides.

you are right that a manual is quicker on paper but you would have to pull off a perfict shift every time. very big debate on this so much so there pritty much the same if your good at it

Gary is prob right here if we are talking stock gearboxes, a perfect shift is not easy in a 6 spd, they are very clumsy boxes relatively speaking which is prob why they are so strong.

Very wrong scott on one point, the manual will NEVER change as fast as a built auto box which shifts so fast you cannot hear it and changes at full throttle without letting off, the built auto will easily knock a second off the 1/4 mile time if not more as will a clutchless seq box. You are completly correct in that the wrong choice of converter is akin to glueing the car to the line, plus you cannot fluff the shift in an auto, I completly missed 4th at the pod which meant the last 100metres or so was a roll across the line that prob cost a good half second. Also the auto is a lot more consistant and easier to launch BUT it has MANY downsides.

I've not seen any BPU Autos manage 10.5 seconds. Are you saying that if TDR had a built auto box he would have knocked a second off his time? I understand that they will be faster when getting into proper drag racing but we are talking BPU levels here.

Just out of curiosity, is there a second of difference between the fastest Auto and the fastest Manual on the strip?

100% agreed with that, alot of my time is lost off throttle and shifting about 0.5 seconds per gear change for me admitadly with some mechanical sympathy though. theres a skyline that changed to auto abroad and his times plumeted from it.

Is this still the fastest 6spd?

Fastest auto I can find is this..

Only 0.32 of a second in it according to that. I know that's a lot in drag racing terms but there doesn't seem to be the second of difference claimed.

Also there was a video on here of a BPU 6spd doing an 11.6 or 11.7 quarter IIRC, in the video it showed how to properly shift a manual. In fact I think you may have commented in that video Dude. Not a million miles off TDRs Auto that ran 11.5.

Pretty sure in the US the BPU manuals are even quicker than the video I mention. Is there a second between those guys?

Who do you know at BPU with a proper built-auto?

I don't know anyone, this is kind of my point. A statement was made that they will be faster, I don't see what difference a built box would make to a BPU car as it won't be making any more power anyway hence why I asked the question.

In the Auto VS manual as far as the context of this thread goes there is VERY little difference between the 2 of them. In fact, as I said, the manuals would be faster than the Autos without having a TC in place. If a built box with a stock TC is faster, I'm curious as to why and how we know this.