The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought the supra

JohnA

Nice to be here guys.

I had almost bought a spanking black UK TT 3 years ago, when I found out it wouldn't fit in the garage, lol...(even now it's feken tight)

Then the F&F mania took over, with ridiculous second-hand prices following. Now it's back to normality, so I thought 'better late than never' eh?

Just before i bought the Supe,i had a Pulsar GTI-R which was around 300 bhp.A freind of mine had a wrx which i could murder off the mark but on a motorway he would leave me.I then bought the supe and thought aghh it dont seem as quick as the gti-r,that weekend i raced the wrx on the same stretch of motorway as always and i left it for dead big time,he was no where near me,IMHO the supe doesnt feel anywhere near as fast as it really is,must be with it being a big well built car,i think if your calibra and the supe were side by side your calibra would be left for dead motorway or not.If cars were as quick as they felt,then my renault 5 gt turbo would be doing 7 sec quarter miles. :D

ohh and welcome John :thumbs:

Very valid point mr keef.... sat in my mates sti (yes, i know....)... he had it decatted etc etc.... and it felt a lot quicker then my soop..... lined him up on a straight.... first gear he took off, but as soon as turbo 2 kicked in............... nuff said :D

Yep the Sup if definitely deceptively fast, i came from a proven 300+ BHP Celica GT4 to a stock J spec auto TT....... the Sup felt slow compared to it, but since ive gone BPU there is no comparison, the Supra would murder it...... the hit you get when the second turbo come online is awesome.

....I then bought the supe and thought aghh it dont seem as quick as the gti-r,that weekend i raced the wrx on the same stretch of motorway as always and i left it for dead big time,he was no where near me,IMHO the supe doesnt feel anywhere near as fast as it really is,...

This may very well be the case, I've had this happen before with motorbikes. Ages ago I had a modded Kawa750turbo and it felt like a rocketship. I would bullsheet people with ZX1100s that it could kick their @ss, and after riding my bike they would all agree that it was indeed a lot faster.

In reality it was slower, but that was my own little dirty secret :respekt: It was the sudden rush of the power delivery that made it feel a lot faster than it really was.

It's all in the mind ;)

On my local stretch of 'test track' I could see straight 5s 0-60 with myself only in the Calibra.

With the same accelerometer we'll see what the stock supra does. I ain't doing it yet though, until I've verified that everything mechanical is OK. With not boost gauge/Wideband at the moment I feel totally blind. It's got a stainless 'free flow' exhaust and who knows how much it's crippled the tiny wastegate of the soop.

A little tip, throw that filter away and put the stock airbox back on, you wont be sucking in hot air then.

And before anyone points out that I have one on mine - im not happy about it but there is no longer room for the airbox or I would have refitted it!

A little tip, throw that filter away and put the stock airbox back on, you wont be sucking in hot air then.

I have a whole website trying to rid the world of these evil 'mods' mate! :D

...along with bling wheels (larger and heavier than stock, yet more fragile), stupid noisy dump valves etc...

Take a look at the 'wanted' section ;) I'm already looking for an airbox

Heh....it's from the previous owner, very proud he was too...

What I find amusing is the idea that 'I like the design of this car and I'll pay money to own it' followed by: 'but I don't trust them to be able to design a decent airfilter, so I'll buy this mesh instead and that will unleash a wall of power that has been lurking there since the dawn of time.'

You know, the sort of shiny, suprflous, overpriced bolt-on crap that is seen as 'yet more power'.

15bhp from this, 35bhp from that, 25bhp from the other one, and when you put the car on the rollers it struggles to perform like a well-maintained stock one.

(try a search for 'dump valve' on my site if you want to see my opinion on the issue)

I undestand the need to shift a lot larger volumes of air during spikes of double the stock boost, which could overwhelm the stock recirc valves (which by the way are a bit more capable than people give them credit for!)

But bling for bling's sake is just laughable (if you're a trader it's profitable, too!)

Cheers mate.

It did take a lot of time to put together, no cut'n'paste there...

I'm always keen on simple yet effective modifications, that follow the character of the car.

From what I've seen, the supra scene is no different to the other ones of modified cars, where following the crowd doesn't lead you to better performance, rather a compromised and short-lived concoxion (until the turbos give up the ghost sooner rather than later)

Free flow exhausts and cone filterchargers rule, eh? Fitting 21" rims with spray-painted rubber adds to the kewl effect.

Haven't decided yet mate.

I may try to push the stock turbos to the limit (which might be higher than most people think)

I may try to build a 1000+ beast, who knows.

At the moment I'm arranging to have a full set of replacement stockers on the side (just in case, lol)

I'm thinking of swapping the ECU with AEM as a starting point, that was actually one of the main reasons I bought the supra. Not many models have an available quality plug-n-play EMS, do they?

Sneaky and insurance-friendly mod, too

What do you think?