The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension Change Guide & HSD HR Coilovers Review (Image Intensive!)

tDR

fantastic write up and guide...great detailed photos !!

This guide answers a question that I put up here a couple of weeks back about how much is safe to wind out of a coilover base...20mm left in for safety is the answer.

(my suspension never came with instructions)

I have RS-R suspension which looks VERY similar to yours in this guide.

I had Envy install mine but like you I spent ages on setting it up in terms of ride height and pre-load etc.

After every change you have to take the car for a drive and let the suspension settle into its new position. Then its back onto the jacks for another adjustment....it does take a long time to get your preffered setting.

Although my RS-R suspension is good on a smooth track, it is a bit too crashy on 'b' roads and a lot of 'a' roads these days. I may be tempted to try out some other suspension units now that I am able to follow a guide such as this myself.

However, now that I know the 20mm answer, I can play around with the pre-load. Maybe mine is set too high.

HSD do claim to make suspension for the top brands so who knows!

Go with 25mm minimum from the bottom of the shock centre to allow for the non threaded lip. To be honest though you'll never have the car that low for it to be a concern as the car would literally be resting on the tyres.

Interesting on the ride heights - do you know what yours are front and rear? I'd be interested to know what other people are running especially those that do track work, regardless of suspension brand / type.

Cheers,

Brian.

• 1 month later...
Interesting on the ride heights - do you know what yours are front and rear? I'd be interested to know what other people are running especially those that do track work, regardless of suspension brand / type.

Just seen this - details of mine are here Brian.

hey bought these coilovers and ill be printing out this for my brother as he is fitting them

did it really take 6 hours to fit them?

5hrs is probably about right if following this guide and not doing any other jobs at the same time.

Thanks Steve - so higher at the rear is desireable according to Centre Gravity!

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks Steve - so higher at the rear is desireable according to Centre Gravity!

For most applications, yes. :)

Give Chris at C.G. a call - he's very busy but if you can catch him his enthusiasm for sharing knowledge and improving people's driving cars to match their needs means he'll usually still find time to happily answer questions and help people out.

• 6 months later...
Guest v8soarer91

Just to make sure.

FRONT

On the front you had a starting height of 130mm collar to collar (pic no.35).

You changed the height to 40mm collar to collar to look like (pic no. 39)

REAR

On the rear you had a starting height of 120mm collar to collar.

You changed the height to 110mm collar to collar.

ALL THIS ACHIVED THESE MEASUREMENTS

New height, Rear, ground -> centre of wheel arch – 670mm, centre of hub -> centre of wheel arch – 340mm

Difference - +10mm

New height, Front, ground -> centre of wheel arch – 645mm, centre of hub -> centre of wheel arch – 335mm

Difference - +15mm

PM me if i am wrong

IMG_1824.jpg

R00108.JPG

Guest v8soarer91
Print off the thread ;)

i was meaning the instructions that was supplied by HSD (Driftworks) to initial setup the coilovers

got the PDF

thanks

• 7 years later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection...... I'll be using the information provided in this thread when I do my coilover install tomorrow, so thanks for sharing.......

I've read the instructions provided and they suggest the pre-load is set to 'hand tight', just enough to stop the spring from moving. Within the thread it states to wind two full rotations past 'hand tight'?

Whats the reasoning behind this diversion from the instructions?......... i'm guessing the car was fine with the extra step tightening but, what is the benefit over whats stated in the instructions.......... or have the instructions changed since this thread was created.....?