The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which turbo's.....?

Suprash

Ash knows this already, but 1.2bar is the recommended limit on stock j-specs. They are at their peak efficiency at that point and the fueling will be good no matter what happens.

You can up the boost but need to accept that the turbos life is seriously diminished and any problems with fueling could lead to detonation and loss of engine.

I would happily run j-specs at 1.3bar with decent fuel (and octane booster where appropriate). I used to run my old j-specs up to 1.4bar on a regular basis. I had a 3" downpipe with no restriction so it was runaway boost. I did that for around 30,000 miles with no adverse affects. However I made sure the fuel was always good and I ran octane booster.

It is always a risk to modify the car, the more you push the boundaries the shorter its lifespan. But a j-spec on ceramics at 1.4bar running a decent FMIC and good fuel is a frightening thing to behold, but it may also be a sudden and expensive death. Its a chance you would have to take.

...... I dont want a single, no need, 400-450bhp is enough all day long and it what I want to try and get out of them,

Manifold holds it back dont it if I remember rightly, now thinking about it :( I wanna make 450-500bhp, maybe stocks at 1.2 and just feed it some No2, ...

Think you need to decide what your objective is and then work your way backwards and select the right turbo / conversion, etc.....

EDIT

I have decided, I will go Jspec stocks, 1.3bar, after all I bet they will still seem twice more punchier then my leaking Hybrids at the moment. Aftermarket parts are just crap in all fairness, so Im going back to how Toyota intended.

Good decision - run it as a BPU, 400ish bhp with 550cc injectors, nice Jspec Turbos running no more than 1.2bar. I wouldnt run them at anything more than that if you are expecting longevity. No point chasing numbers if you are looking for a reliable and easy to maintain car - which is exactly what a good BPU should be.

Edited by imi (see edit history)