The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled for number plate

Grazer

We've already been over the stick on route mate... fairly sure it was deemed illegal because of the level of reflection or something (can't be bothered to scroll back though :tongue: ) BTW Ashley it's a bit hard to see your plate in that pic :rolleyes:

Edit: The stick on plate discussion is not in this thread ;)

Please refer to this link:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm

All vehicles must display a fron mounted number plate.

This myth that all imported vehicles can have small number plates is rubbish.

The Supra has European Type approval and therefore must have a full sized number plate..... even if you have after market bumpers etc.

Most imported vehicles from Japan have European type approval, this includes Supras, Skylines, RX7's etc. etc.

If you look at the penalties..... you could be fined upto £1000 if the copper feels it necessary to to persue the matter. The registration number of your vehicle could be taken away leaving you to have to re-register your car.

Not worth the risk IMO. I tried and got pulled over last year.... my bro is a policeman and he says they have times of the year when they have 'crack downs' on things like number plates and other vehicle defects.

Guest beastofackworth

cant remember the last time i saw a motorbike with a plate on the front!!!

rich

I had a very small front plate for a while, I was very lucky as I never got fined more than once, but got feed up with the hastle of being pulled and given producers. I noticed that loads of car with small plates got pulled last May round here.

A small plate or no plate looks so much better IMHO, but it is not worth the agro and potential big fine. I designed my current plate round the dimentitons of the bumper so it did not look quite so big. It does not comply with regs, so if they got a tape out and measure it I will get done, but a quick visual will not get extra attention as it is not obviously smaller unless you put a standard plate next to it.

I think I have mentioned this before, but I got pulled for speeding, they had no proof, so then checked the car over. They saw the small plate, started to write me a ticket to get it changed and checked by MOT station when I mentioned the import DVLA thing. They then changed the problem to be that they weren't stamped with all the correct BS numbers and stuff. So carried on writing out the ticket. I drove immediately to the MOT station, who kindly told me that a number plate only has to be visible from a certain number of yards to pass the MOT, therefore my plate was OK. At the same time, they kindly phoned the officer that ticketed me, who gave us a load of bullshit over the phone, then they phoned the MOT helpline who couldn't answer why I had been ticketed with this fault, and then they phoned the DVLA who also couldn't answer why I had been ticketed. When I took all of this info to the cop shop and told them, and the officer who had pulled me, about it, they were speachless. Needless to say, I have yet to be stopped again for my small plate, and if I do, I have all the info photocopied in my glovebox, including the previous MOT station ticket signed by the MOT station.

But if you do live in a bent piggy county, and you are more upset about the airflow to your FMIC with a larger plate on. Why not buy/design/make something similar to this?

cant remember the last time i saw a motorbike with a plate on the front!!!

rich

Seeing as we are talking about cars I didn't think it neccesarry to point out that bikes didn't require a front one. :rolleyes:

But its all there on the DVLA website. If an M.O.T. station says different then they must be wrong. If a certain officer doesn't pick up on an illegal number plate then the next one probably will.

I'm not a fan of the excessivly large plates that we have, but I prefer not to get a £1000 potential fine and also the hassel of being stopped on my journey each time.

Some people no doubt will be more than happy to take the risk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...