The mkiv Supra Owners Club

the single route begins:) shes coming back!

L33

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea mate i understand where your coming from. cheers any way! any luck selling yours yet? stunning car!!

its a map 2 link ecu i believe

Who has mapped it? I can highly recommend Ryan if you do need it mapped. He has worked wonders with mine.

No, at that price it would only ever go abroad. The wife is very insistant on me keeping it and with so many people saying i will regret it i have a lot of thinking to do.

Have you driven a single yet? Please be carful, its very easy to come unstuck. If you havent got RLTC i would REALLY recommend it as im sure it has saved my life/car on many occasions.

I may have missed it, but who are you insuring the car with and what sort of money are they asking? (interested as i went single @ 21 i think and it wasnt easy) - pm if you like.

its ok mate i dont mind talking openly.

im planning to get Ryan to map it but he dont know this yet :) heard so many good thing about him!

i think you should keep it too its a nice motor!

ive never driven a single so will be a shock! havent driven my TT since july!!

i am looking at the RLTC but money as you can imagion is low!! not look at insurance yet that was my next question. any recommendations? what about company that insure for the value of the car not just "trade" value. people say use sky but they didnt do me any favours?!

horses for courses mate, yes a manual will be slightly quicker on the twistys but from a standing start a built auto with a high stall will own a manual with the same power every time :p

Pig know's better anyways... don't you Pig?!? :eyebrows: Supra Pod was indeed a good example :D :p

Looks like an interesting spec Lee!

Cheers,

Brian.

Nice one :)

Leaving the transmission choice for a second, you may want to keep some cash in reserve for if/when the GT4088 breaks.

Who is doing the work and how did you choose them?

yea i have noticed a few of these turbos have broke but im really not looking to pushing to much cuz i cant afford to keep rebuilding and fixing! just be happy to have the car back. like i said i would like to have 500bhp but just have to see.

about the box would a BL box with a 3800 high stall be a good set up for this set up?

im using toyota GT, very impressed with luis build and when i met them they seemed to know a lot of stuff and just liked there attitude! you can always tell the money motivated type to the type who actually want to help you and james seems a top bloke!

ive never driven a single so will be a shock! havent driven my TT since july!!

i am looking at the RLTC but money as you can imagion is low!! not look at insurance yet that was my next question. any recommendations? what about company that insure for the value of the car not just "trade" value. people say use sky but they didnt do me any favours?!

I cant stress enough how much i would advise RLTC....seriously, 500bhp means a major lack of tracktion. Think hard, its only £600.

With your insurance i would start looking very hard. Dont you remember how much trouble Havard had and he is an old f***er ;)

I had to pay £1250 for my first 6 months of single ownership (2.5K per year) just to get some experience. Now paying £1051 per year.

Pig know's better anyways... don't you Pig?!? :eyebrows: Supra Pod was indeed a good example :D :p

Looks like an interesting spec Lee!

Cheers,

Brian.

Didnt we work out it takes about 2 seconds off a 1/4 being an auto? - Dam you again BTW brian ;)

I cant stress enough how much i would advise RLTC....seriously, 500bhp means a major lack of tracktion. Think hard, its only £600.

With your insurance i would start looking very hard. Dont you remember how much trouble Havard had and he is an old f***er ;)

I had to pay £1250 for my first 6 months of single ownership (2.5K per year) just to get some experience. Now paying £1051 per year.

Didnt we work out it takes about 2 seconds off a 1/4 being an auto? - Dam you again BTW brian ;)

well when i first had a na i didnt shop around and i was paying 2200 a year 3rd f+t! managed to get my tt down to 1400 fully comp now tho! so which company for single? half of them wouldnt understand what i would be talking about any way!

thing is i cant afford RTLC and a BL box!! now if i dont go for the box could be pricey to take every thing apart again in the future to do it and it wil kill my current box so i cant drive the car, yet with the traction i could just go very steady til i can save for that as its the cheaper thing to save for? and would be less hasstle to install compared to the box

at the mo i see i have a few options, either run low boost and power and keep standard box and the traction wouldnt be such a problem as 500 would be

or

upgrade the box for bigger power and go careful

or

keep the power down but fit the RLTC but then could take a while to save again for box so would be limited power for a while

what would you do?

The problem with insurance I found was if the company's didnt know what they were talking about they wouldnt allow it and if they did understand they wouldnt allow it.

My first insurance was with elephant. I was lucky enough to ring and speak to someone on their first day. I explained that my twin turbo's had gone pop and I couldnt afford to buy another 2. So I was buying 1 large one instead of 2 little ones, he wasnt very helpful so I got upset and asked for the supervisor. The supervisor explained it was this guys first day and apologised and made a note on my file giving me permission to do this.

I was VERY lucky that day.

Then came the £2500 from a plan. I had spent all the money on manual conversion, engine build etc etc and it became obvious that my "chat" with elephant would not suffice in the event of an accident.

If i were you i would try A plan thacham and Adrian Flux. If they cant help you, your in trouble. :)

Ref. the box or the RLTC. I dont think its expensive to remove and replace a box. Difficult decision.

o and is now a 15yr classic supra so price should be less! :) and do people have value insurance or is it a case of "trade" value pay outs? because when this is done it wil be considerable more value than trade!

It maybe over 15yrs but you cant use classic car insurance as its now heavily modded.

I wouldnt worry about payout value i would worry about just getting proper insurance with mods covered for the time being.

I would also consider shopping before fitting the single.

Personally I fear for any standard autobox trying to cope with a chunk extra power as I find them easy to break. Not everyone is of the same opinion though!

Regarding RLTC... I think that makes you too dependant on technology and enourages bad driving habits. The trouble is, what if the RLTC acts up and you end up crashing anyways as a result when you mash the throttle coming out a corner, expecting RLTC to take care of your hamfistedness? Learning to drive with no traction control makes for a better driver IMO - you just have to realise smooth driving is key - no sudden inputs on any of the controls... unless you need some opposite lock :D

Cheers,

Brian.

at the mo i see i have a few options, either run low boost and power and keep standard box and the traction wouldnt be such a problem as 500 would be

or

upgrade the box for bigger power and go careful

or

keep the power down but fit the RLTC but then could take a while to save again for box so would be limited power for a while

what would you do?

Alot depends on the condition/history of your auto box, if it still shifts perfect and has not had to hard a life then it should last for quite a while, mine had about 60k miles stock then 30k at 1.2 bar bpu before i went single so it had seen some use, when i went single it did start to deteriorate within about 8 months the full power shift from second to third began to get a bit sluggish. An option i did seriously consider was buying a used (low as possible miles) stock box and just running it till it started to go and so on, you may get six months to a year out of a decent condition box, with all the budding F1 drivers :D on here converting to the 6 speeds there are quite a lot of boxs about cheap, if however you want ultimate performance then a built box is the way to go as they will outshift anything.

Just a word on Pig mentioning RLTC personally i think it should be mandatory for cars above a certain power level to have traction control, i can also relate to what tDR is saying as well but the skills he is talking about take time to learn (and in my experience a few bumps as well :() lets be honest the majority of us on here are never going to threaten Lewis Hamilton and infact RLTC can give the confidence to push the car relatively safely to its limits.

well when i first had a na i didnt shop around and i was paying 2200 a year 3rd f+t! managed to get my tt down to 1400 fully comp now tho! so which company for single? half of them wouldnt understand what i would be talking about any way!

thing is i cant afford RTLC and a BL box!! now if i dont go for the box could be pricey to take every thing apart again in the future to do it and it wil kill my current box so i cant drive the car, yet with the traction i could just go very steady til i can save for that as its the cheaper thing to save for? and would be less hasstle to install compared to the box

For now run the auto and buy RLTC. I bought RLTC 4 years ago when i crashed my BPUTT6 and never regretted it! My bacon has been saved 1000000's of times :innocent: I have a std Auto box for sale they go for around £200!

Personally I fear for any standard autobox trying to cope with a chunk extra power as I find them easy to break. Not everyone is of the same opinion though!

Regarding RLTC... I think that makes you too Dependant on technology and encourages bad driving habits. The trouble is, what if the RLTC acts up and you end up crashing anyways as a result when you mash the throttle coming out a corner, expecting RLTC to take care of your hamfistedness? Learning to drive with no traction control makes for a better driver IMO - you just have to realize smooth driving is key - no sudden inputs on any of the controls... unless you need some opposite lock :D

Cheers,

Brian.

Has anyone experienced a sudden failure of RLTC due to anything other than a dodgy wiring job?[sHOCK][/sHOCK] IMO i only floor 573hp in a straight line on the open roads. You never know what the surface is like.

However i can personally recommend RLTC on the track but you can still spin out as i proved @ Llandow on numstig (Bignums video)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1TOjIlenuYg

I had cheap tires on and changed them 1 minute after that spin..Also it was raining;)

The point is if you know the limits of RLTC or rather the car/grip/power it can add a lot of fun and safety to your single powered drive.

I still think RLTC is the single best upgrade ANY large powered turbo'd car can have.

i agree with every ones points but if i dont drive stupid and risk myself i wont need the RLTC just yet, i just feel a built auto box is a safer option to make sure my car can cope with the power.

with out the RLTC it wil just be like driving in the rain, i can control my self until i get it fitted!

i agree with every ones points but if i dont drive stupid and risk myself i wont need the RLTC just yet, i just feel a built auto box is a safer option to make sure my car can cope with the power.

with out the RLTC it wil just be like driving in the rain, i can control my self until i get it fitted!

Its not driving stupid that the problem. RLTC is there for when your expecting the car to grip and ot doesnt, not for relying on.

Also worth doing a couple of airfield or track days to get experience of when the rear end will come out.

As you mentioned earlier, how is lui's auto box ?

That could help with your decision.