The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DIY refurb of 3 Piece Split Rims

jevansio

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These really do look stunnign mate, im so glad you decided to keep em. Would be a shame to let em go for silly money just to clear some space. They are gorgeous rims :)

If i had £800 I would have em in a heartbeat.. mind, that offer of a kidney still stand mate :D

Get some pictures up when you have em on your motor, i bet they will look stunning :)

Elliott

Thanks Elliot,I thought someone would have seen the potential in them and snapped them up TBH, I think they are very handsome wheel & will be well suited to the Supra

I'll clean the inside out with a scrubbing brush before I put them on but I reckon you won't be able to see much of that behind the brake discs :)

Thanks Elliot,I thought someone would have seen the potential in them and snapped them up TBH, I think they are very handsome wheel & will be well suited to the Supra

I'll clean the inside out with a scrubbing brush before I put them on but I reckon you won't be able to see much of that behind the brake discs :)

Looking good :) the disc wont hide much of the inner lip though so i reckon you should get scrubbing :D

DSCF0735.jpg

The resealing process started yesterday. I bought a high modulus silicone sealant & some sikaflex so I could compare the adheasion properties of both on the wheel.

I put a blob of each on last night & left them overnight. This morning both were very subborn to move. The HM sealant however when forced hard enough came off in a nice long string (pretty much like the original sealant), the sikaflex was like getting chewing gum from a woolen jumper :D.

I decided to go with the HM sealant as if I ever needed to take them apart again it would be easier (I think the sikalfex would def do the job but I'd only put that on if I knew I was never taking them apart again).

To get the nice finish I had the idea of running a spoon around it, but evertime I lifted the spoon off it left a messy patch. I then tried a credit card which worked much better & with the correct pressure I got a nice curve much like the one which was one from the factory.

I'm putting a tyre on 1 wheel 1st to see if it loses any pressure before applying the same technique to the other wheels.

Anyway here's todays pics, comments welcome on if it'll work on not before I get a tyre put on :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=88670&stc=1&d=1235811677

attachment.php?attachmentid=88671&stc=1&d=1235811677

attachment.php?attachmentid=88672&stc=1&d=1235811677

attachment.php?attachmentid=88673&stc=1&d=1235811677

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

We used Sikaflex on mine and didnt have a problem getting it off and splitting the wheels.

Your wheels wont leak just make sure the sealer has set before you put a tyre on ;)

I used a plastic cup to get a nice smooth finish, worked a treat :)

Cheers Dunk, if these leak I'll use Sikaflex next time. Should be a couple of days by the time I get the 1st tyre so they should be OK by then, I'm just praying they hold then I can get the other 3 done & the wheels on the car :D

Cheers Dunk, if these leak I'll use Sikaflex next time. Should be a couple of days by the time I get the 1st tyre so they should be OK by then, I'm just praying they hold then I can get the other 3 done & the wheels on the car :D

If they leak it wont be from the sealer as youve done it properly :)

:thumbs: fingers crossed :D

Have faith ;) they will not leak unless the valves buggered or the tyres got a nail in it

Have fun refurbing your nuts and bolts :) ive got to flat, reprime and flat my bumper then its ready to get the base coat and get laquered and be flatted again :(

Im off there now so in ten minutes i'll be rubbing like theres no tomorrow;):D

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Have faith ;) they will not leak unless the valves buggered or the tyres got a nail in it

Have fun refurbing your nuts and bolts :) ive got to flat, reprime and flat my bumper then its ready to get the base coat and get laquered and be flatted again :(

Im off there now so in ten minutes i'll be rubbing like theres no tomorrow;):D

No rest for the wicked ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the frequent updates but I got a tyre on the 1st wheel today, I'm going to leave it a week to see if it goes down, if not I'll carry on with the rest.

There's a few pics as I got a bit carried away (I can't put my finger on it but there's something about a nice wheel clad in a new R888 :D). I think these may end up looking just as nice as the Racing Harts once on the car TBH :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=89344&stc=1&d=1236971475

attachment.php?attachmentid=89345&stc=1&d=1236971475

attachment.php?attachmentid=89346&stc=1&d=1236971475

attachment.php?attachmentid=89347&stc=1&d=1236971475

attachment.php?attachmentid=89348&stc=1&d=1236971475

attachment.php?attachmentid=89349&stc=1&d=1236971475

Img_3182.jpg

Img_3184.jpg

Img_3185.jpg

Img_3187.jpg

Img_3188.jpg

Img_3189.jpg

Cheers bud, the lips are covered with my finger prints :D, but I think once on the car they should look pretty sweet (like a baby version of yours :D)

:D

Get a good coat of wax on them as it'll really help keep them looking sweet.

Look forward to seeing them back on your car

Jay, that looks awesome!!!!!

your either gonna make a killing on these when it comes to selling em, OR your not gonna be able to part with them given the time effort blood sweat and tears you have put into them!

Either, way i take my [imaginary] hat off to you good sir! :)