The mkiv Supra Owners Club

£25 trackday tasters

michael

Sounds great - bit worried about Gazboy's comments about car killing tracks. Surely my NA will hold up. I just want to test out the limits of its cornering.

Might book an event for Jan.

Car killing tracks = if you've got faults or niggles, they'll come home to roost on tracks like these. Make sure your car is fully functional before you go and then enjoy yourself! :)

My only worry about these taster days is you will get a lot of novices, who are mentally maxxed out just figuring out which way to go - full of adrenaline they might make mistakes that gather you up or not see you as you go to overtake... so be ultra careful. Also, don't let the red mist in and end up seeing it as a race against others; concentrate on your car and your drive and extending your abilities - you'll get uch more from it IMHO. :thumbs:

Car killing tracks = if you've got faults or niggles, they'll come home to roost on tracks like these. Make sure your car is fully functional before you go and then enjoy yourself! :)

My only worry about these taster days is you will get a lot of novices, who are mentally maxxed out just figuring out which way to go - full of adrenaline they might make mistakes that gather you up or not see you as you go to overtake... so be ultra careful. Also, don't let the red mist in and end up seeing it as a race against others; concentrate on your car and your drive and extending your abilities - you'll get uch more from it IMHO. :thumbs:

I see. Thanks for the advice. I'll get my car checked first though I think all is in order.

I see. Thanks for the advice. I'll get my car checked first though I think all is in order.

In that case, keep and eye on your gauges, stop for a rest or two so you don't get mentally exhausted (& check the car over when you do) - and the jobs a good 'un. :thumbs:

Really do watch others though; both catching you and those that you catch. If the track is good they'll give a good briefing to everyone to try and minimise the chances of anyone being stupid, but assume nothing.

After reading this....I've got a novice session booked on the 10th of Jan at Brands Hatch......with an instructor.

Should be fun.

That's probably the best way to get the most out of the relatively short session, and the spare pair of experienced eyes watching what others in front & behind are up to will be invaluable, too. Hope you enjoy it! :)

steve r is right,adrenaline can f```k your head up,whach mirrors ,make sure your car`s engine is warmed,whach for flags at all times and one more thing that happened to me is that after like 5 laps we’ve been stop for 10 min because of a car that stalled on the track and when we start the race again tyres got cold and in the first corner I kind of ….heard my passenger sh…ing it self J,I was close too ,to be honest so take care

Enjoy your session..

Also to expand on this, all three tracks are known for being very unforgiving if you cock up, either on parts of the track or in the case of cadwell, all of it, plus crashing at Paddock Hill Bend doesn't bare thinking about.

Imo try an airfield day first.

Brands Hatch is steeped in history, much better than an airfield. A quick tip for those worried about crashing...don't drive to the point where you can't control your car, its real easy.

Shall we not bother with insurance then?

Nobody plans on crashing or having a smack, some people do take liberties with physics and pay for it but bearing in mind this is a trackday where you are pressing on, the chances of a mistake are greater and graver.

There is a reason why they put rubbers on the end of pencils.

Lets all be honest with this,will all learn from mistakes, if we sit on the sofa`s watching luis hamilton flying through them corners do u think that`s gonna teach u anything in my opinion `no`,I dreamed racing on a track since I was 10,before I went there I knew anything could’ve happened ,on the top of I`ve just got my car out of the garage after a burnout that ended bad and cost me a new bumper but I learned from that so hopefully it`s not going to happen again ,I`ll might get criticised for all this but if u don’t practice u never learn ,that`s my opinion anyway

Shall we not bother with insurance then?

Nobody plans on crashing or having a smack, some people do take liberties with physics and pay for it but bearing in mind this is a trackday where you are pressing on, the chances of a mistake are greater and graver.

There is a reason why they put rubbers on the end of pencils.

I dont bother with insurance on track days. The chances of a mistake are almost totally down to me, as opposed to the many factors involved with driving on the public roads. I'm afraid I have little patience for those who bin it on a track-day, especially when I'm stuck in the pits while the barriers are repaired.

That's certainly true of proper race drivers who are paid to win races, but the point of a trackday is to have fun and enjoy your driving. You tell me how standing by the wreckage of your once-lovely car and wondering how you're going to a) afford the repair and b) get home, fulfill those criteria.

I have gently spun off onto the grass at Brands Hatch in absolutely pouring rain, at the top of Druids, after holding off an Evo 5 for 2 laps and he passed me after a slip at Clearways, so I forgot all the above ^^^ and lost my temper a bit and chased him before going into Druids way too fast and stamping the brake mid-corner.

So one slip of attitude and I nearly binned it. I forgot what the point of a track day was, and started "racing." At another track day at Brands some bloke in an MR2 in the novice group came off after Druids, on his first lap, and destroyed his car and the barriers. We waited for hours while the barrier was rebuilt. he wasn't popular at all.

I'd guess he's expecting you to crash.

Just go steady, work within your limits; don't find them as it'll end in tears.

Despite having done a few tracks days and 3 trips to teh ring, I am still relatively new to all this and I gained a lot from Llandow a few months ago for example. I was significantly faster - but more importantly, much more competent - in the afternoon than I was in the morning, and I did about 80 laps in all. I recognise that there is still a lot left to learn and appreciate that it takes time to build experience and the speed that comes with that experience, you cannot short-cut that learning curve so start slow and build form there, you can't start fast and 'undo' your inevitable mistakes. :thumbs: