The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Losing Weight

Nic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't realise those weights on mkiv.co.nz were kerb mass. Have just found this definition of kerb mass:

"Unladen kerb mass (Mk) (kg) means the mass of the vehicle in running order, unoccupied and unladen but with the addition of 75 kg for the mass of the driver, the mass of fuel corresponding to 90% of the capacity of the fuel tank specified by the manufacturer, and the masses of coolant, lubricant, tools and spare wheel, if any."

That means an unoccupied Jap TT mkiv with low petrol level could weigh as little as 1370 kg. So why does everywhere typically quote 1550-1600 kg and say Supes are really heavy cars?

:looney:

Guest Terry S

the uk/us car is apparently 100 kg more. They are official figures so I thought they would be the best point for digsy to work from.

Guest Terry S
That means an unoccupied Jap TT mkiv with low petrol level could weigh as little as 1370 kg. So why does everywhere typically quote 1550-1600 kg and say Supes are really heavy cars?

Wheels, brakes etc add to it, but the figure is possibly massaged. I have never really thought the Supra is heavy for it's physical size/performance. Look at the MK3. Most modern cars are as heavy/heavier. How much is the new M3? ( not CSL) Bet it is similar if not more than a JDM car.

My SZR weighed in at 1397kg during an MOT. Looking at those figures, considering it wasn't fully fueled up, I guess that it had the tester in the car for the weighing. So maybe the car's nearer 1300kg dry weight?!

I always puzzled at how all Toyota's weightsaving endeavours (aluminium bonnet, legendary hollow-fibre carpets, etc) resulted in such a seemingly heavy car.

1300kg seems hard to belive. that thread on supra forums the hardcore people stripping weight down were having trouble breaking the 3000 pound barrier.

a 1300kg car would weigh 2860 pounds. even some big race prepped cars are at 2800 pound. i always seen figures of 1550kg for supras.

your szr was it a full weight car with all seats. i know the szr is a lighter N/A

True, it's quite modest. But presumably with weight-reduction, you do benefit from the improved power/weight ratio right across the rev range.

For example, if you improve power/weight by upgrading your turbo, it's not going to improve acceleration until you get onto boost (ignoring the fact that a big turbo system might be more free flowing).

I think weight reduction would add a little low down pull. My car always feels a bit perkier from a standstill when I'm low on petrol.

Cliff

Well if you managed to save, say 50kg from a 1600kg fully loaded car, that would equate to around a 3% weight saving. So would presumably have a similar effect to a 3% HP increase. Doesn't really seem worth it when you think about (other than reducing unsprung weight), unless you're seriously into drag racing.

Gizza 1/4 mile time or a 0-60 to go with that figure and I'll crunch numbers.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/0-60_equation.php have you tried this

Your 0 to 60 time is: 3.32

Just to give you an idea of what other perfomance cars run 0 to 60 in, here are some stats:

• My Pontiac powered rail = 1.10 seconds
  • Supra Twin Turbo (stock) = 4.7 seconds
  • Lamborghini Diablo = 3.4 seconds
  • Ferrari 550 Maranello = 4.2 seconds
  • School bus fully loaded = 47.325 seconds
  • more to come...

wonder if it is worth all the hasstle and discomfort riding around in a stripped out supra like the djcraig supra or crd supra. it sure is noisy.

Not read all of this, so apologies if I get something wrong......

I would say the money and effort spent on weight saving doesnt really outweigh the cost. Also a carbon fibre bonnet doesnt save you much weight either over the stock bonnet which is pretty light anyway compared to most other bonnets.

1300kg seems hard to belive. that thread on supra forums the hardcore people stripping weight down were having trouble breaking the 3000 pound barrier.

a 1300kg car would weigh 2860 pounds. even some big race prepped cars are at 2800 pound. i always seen figures of 1550kg for supras.

your szr was it a full weight car with all seats. i know the szr is a lighter N/A

No heavy bodykit or anything, but still got electric driver's seat, spare wheel, only really weight saving is RSR exhaust and no cats. The kerb weights quoted on mkiv.co.nz must exclude driver weight and maybe aren't based on 90% fueling. That would make my 1397kg pretty realistic if the SZR's quoted figure is 1430kg.

Not read all of this, so apologies if I get something wrong......

I would say the money and effort spent on weight saving doesnt really outweigh the cost. Also a carbon fibre bonnet doesnt save you much weight either over the stock bonnet which is pretty light anyway compared to most other bonnets.

Agreed it would cost a lot for small performance benefit, the reason for my original question though was more about what COULD be possible, ie. how much weight could be saved from a Supra without compromising creature comforts/performance.

Alrighty. Been away from my PC for the weekend.

I've banged the formulae from my previous post into a spreadsheet. If you type your numbers into the boxes with black borders around them, the numbers in red on the right will change. Basically, its details of your current car and its performance on the left, weight (mass) changes in the middle, and results on the right.

I've put some figures in for a starter but you should replace these with your own. The list of mods comes from MonkeyMark's post. The mass figures are my own guesses.

Note that the figures for 0-60, 1/4 mile time and 1/4 mile speed all produce independant results. This is because the cacs assume the all accerations are constant and linear, which of course they are not. Therefore average acceleration from 0-60 will not be the same as average acceleration from the whole 1/4 mile.

Oh - and I've edited my original post because there was an error in the very last line. DOH! :D

Supra mass reduction.zip

• 1 month later...

thread back from the dead

just took all ice out of car. and weighed it all 9.8 kg saved on my netto supra lol

ALPINE sat nav = 1.6 kg

FUJITSU TEN double din TV/CD/TAPE/RADIO = 3.0 kg

Car audio cables = 1.2 kg

Stock front speaker + mountings left = 1.2 kg

Stock front speaker + mountings right = 1.2 kg

Stock rear speaker + mountings left = 0.8 kg

Stock rear speaker + mountings right = 0.8 kg

Stock ariel removed and filled in (not sure what motor weighs as it was binned)

looking for other things i can take out. anyone have any info on removing airbag sensors and any ecu`s that i could take out?

or air con system?

its quite good taking stuff apart seeing how good the supra is bolted together.

just seen the zip file you posted. where you get weight of the added items?