The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyear F1s, Falken 452s or Toyo T1Rs?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by all the comments on them, I'm now thinking of staying with my 452's. Didn't realise they had such a good following! I know this wasn't my thread but helped me make up my mind too! :D

I've tried a few different sets of tyres on Supras - the best of which have been my current Falken FK-452's. I got them thinking they'd be so so considering how well priced they are and once fitted headed to my nearest roundabout late night to corner fast round and round to see how they break away and get rid of any manufacturing agent on the tyres. I was majorly impressed to find I couldn't unstick the back end at all no matter how ham fisted I was with my throttle and steering input.

In torrential rain recently it was like ice skating when trying to get some power down when having a little play with a hot hatch but TBH I've had the same experience in all powerful RWD cars not using traction control with a variety of tyres.

The worst tyres I've experienced on a Supra were the Nankang ditchfinders I inherited with the car in 225/50/16 size all round :Pling: which meant I couldn't safely go 2nd turbo even in the dry. :blink:

Goodyear F1 GSD3's to me come a close 2nd to the Falken FK-452's for dry grip and for truly spirited driving down your favourite backroad or on track the Falken's last a lot better - in my experience the F1's just overheat very easily and pretty much melt.

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I like the sound of the Falkens at the mo.

I've also had an offer of 4 part worn tyres from a friend of a friend who works at a tyre place.

Continental contact sport 2s for the front (apparently almost no wear on them at all)

and Avon ZZ3s on the rear (about 6 1/2 mm left), all fitted for £200.

Mixing front and rears? Is this a BIG no no?

Cheers again guys.

it's mot ideal in a powerfull car to mix front and rear, however the most important thing is make sure the tyres are the same on each axle, which they will be if you get the part worn ones. i had the falken 452 on the back and it made loads of difference, im going to get them put on the front too.

Really!? I was quoted £650

*Awaits phone number*

I got them in Nottingham from a place called Extra Grip on Triumph rd (0115 9790429). £428 fitted. 265/35/18 on the back and 235/40/18 on the front. I'd recommend them.

The cheapest mobile fitters I saw was event-tyres.co.uk for £433 fitted.

The cheapest place I could find them delivered unfitted was from Camskill for £362.

Nice one guys, just been onto Protyre and they can't get to me and I'll be dammed if I'm driving to Enfield to get my tyres fitted! lol.

Falkentyres.co.uk look my best bet at the moment. Happy with the prices, just got to start saving those shirt buttons so I can pay for them!

I see you have already made your mind up but seeing as i have tried a fair few i firuged i will comment.

@ BPU i tried bridgestone potenza's and found them good but not as good as the eagle F1's

The F1's are a fantastic all round tire.

@ single i have used F1's and found them good but they were not grippy enough in the dry but much better than the Toyo T1R's in the wet

T1R's in the dry are superiour to any other tire in the dry apart from the obvious that i now run R888's. LOADS of grip in the dry.

I cannot comment on how long tires last as i mine never do :eyebrows:

Lol, I still havn't made a final decision yet pig, that probably won't happen until credit-card time!

Toying with the idea of the pilot sport 2's still. I hear the T1R's are very good, but like you say they don't have the wet grip and as mine is a daily driver I can see that coming in handy somewhere down the line! lol

TBH, never really considered the Bridgestones, but the F1's have crossed my mind once or twice.

• 1 month later...