The mkiv Supra Owners Club

headlight bulbs

Paul372

I just got the number of a couple of suppliers... both with answerphones similar to my parents :rolleyes:

The ones you got have H5 stamped on them?

The first link is for HB3 fitment and the second link is HB4?

You're confusing me more now!? :D

I think I'll go back to Halfords and get the 9005 and trim the lugs... knowing my luck I'll buy some from some dodgy supplier and be stuck with them when they don't fit.... :blink:

I just called Toyda Tech and Stu can order me one bulb in from Toyota Japan for £25!?

erm... back to lug trimming then.

I eventually got through to one of the Ring suppliers and they couldn't help.

I'm a bit staggered at how difficult it is to get the right bulb... whatever that is?!

I got the second one in the second link.

If I was certain these would fit your car I would offer to get them for you. Ring is our parent company and I'd certainly walk 100 yards to pick them up for you. Cheap too. I think a pair would be under a tenner!

dude, i have a spare one now as my Ring ones jus came in. only bought it last week as a temp because i broke old one, fits straight in no messin about...

just a thought you are trying to fit it to the middle (dipped) light and not the inside (beam) socket..

pm if u want my spare

RedM - are the 'Xenon' headlights brighter than stock without requiring the HID kit etc? or am I missing the point.

My Supra had the stock JDM bulbs in despite being over here for about three years.

The first night I had the car I missed the turning for my village! Changing to the Xenon Plus was a huge improvement over the old bulbs but I wouldn't say that they compared to a set of HIDs. In fact, had I not sold my car I would have a set of HIDs by now.

I just manged to cram the 9005 in on one lug - the other two where basically whittled down to nothing and the dam thing still wouldn't go...

It looks fine for now (probably see better later on, when it's dark) and I'll grab a HIDs kit when Knight-Racer get them back in.

So all is all an incredibly frustrating and confusing exercise.

Martin - thanks for your help mate :thumbs:

I have learnt;

• 9006/9005 'J' fittings can only be bought in Japan - Toyota Japan charge £25 for one bulb.
  • 9006 just don't fit - we know this.
  • 9005 'might' fit but you'll have to whittle down the two side lugs
  • The H3, H4 and H5 seems to still be something of a debate with a lot of people saying different things.

All in all a HIDs kit will be the solution to all of my headlight problems.... apparently :D