The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New JPS Supra

jacko

NOT a criticism but a question:

At what point does it cease to be a Supra? It's tubbed at the back, tubular space frame at the front. Does it retain the original floor pan? I'm assuming the only orginal parts are the head and block castings, roof pillars and lights?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In circuit race terms this would be a "Special Saloon", or "Special GT" like my Skoda was, which had the bonnet badge as the *ONLY* OE Skoda part. I would say it comes close to being a "Funny Car" in drag race terms. No further from the OE than cars that run as "Supras" in JGTC though. Front suspension and uprights are bespoke, rear axle and all the back suspension is bespoke, I would be amazed if the gearbox was OE, only minimal bits of the bodyshell look original. But if you want to turn very low ET's this is where chasing the time slips will take you.

Isn't that headlight air intake duct supposed to go through to the outside of the headlamp lens?

Just a guess, but it'll be drawing a vacuum inside that headlamp casing which would be a bit of a restriction...... not that they haven't got enough boost by the look of it :)

There's a ruddy great hole in the lens too Steve. ;)

He told me the build only started in June :) what a nice job the've done in a short time.

It'll be good to see it on full song, perhaps at Japshow final :)

Should make for a good compertition with Whittacker and Bradshaw also running very good times

He told me the build only started in June :) what a nice job the've done in a short time.

It'll be good to see it on full song, perhaps at Japshow final :)

Should make for a good compertition with Whittacker and Bradshaw also running very good times

Do you know how much of the original shell & panels were kept?

Do Pro Street cars have to use OEM windscreens?

No idea mate. The shell was damaged at the front and I vaguely remember Leon saying he didnt need anything forward of the firewall/bulkhead.

Do you know how much of the original shell & panels were kept?

Do Pro Street cars have to use OEM windscreens?

No idea mate. The shell was damaged at the front and I vaguely remember Leon saying he didnt need anything forward of the firewall/bulkhead.

• 1 month later...

Leon did run an 8 something on Saturday :) lurched off from the lights, backend gripped on 1 wheel more than the other, he then got it straight and applied the power, by this time he must have been at the 60ft marker.

Powere up track and did the 8, don't know what it would have been if it had been a straight launch and full 1/4 powe run :)

Steve Whittaker also got good rear end grip and did and great wheelie off the lights :)

Had the rain held off some good time would have been seen on Sunday the track was getting better and the cold air was giving good power.

wow that is impressive.

Silly question, why have a dry sump on a drag machine I thought the idea of a dry sump was to make sure oil went where its ment to during tight bends and such

dry sump is partly for power as well as oil surge, the crank dragging through the oil 200 times a second imparts a parasitic loss, when your at this level of tune you have to start chasing the smaller more expensive things, it may only put your time down by a fraction of a second but all these small things add up

Leon did run an 8 something on Saturday :) lurched off from the lights, backend gripped on 1 wheel more than the other, he then got it straight and applied the power, by this time he must have been at the 60ft marker.

Powere up track and did the 8, don't know what it would have been if it had been a straight launch and full 1/4 powe run :)

QUOTE]

Well it is supposed to have been built to run into the 6's isnt it, which i cant wait to see if it does

Guest CoolsBlue

Crashed supra shells of jez would be perfect for race cars, the front has some damage, most of that is cut away and replaced with welded pipework anyway! and that supra is the nuts

Was at Leons this morning, had a good look over this. The workmanship thats gone into that car is unreal!

He was saying he had a few problems on Saturday testing. On one run half way down at 130mph, one of the steering rack mounts sheered off and he lost all steering! :blink: Jammed on the anchors and stopped 2" away from the wall. The launch wheelie killed the mount.

On another run the wastegate blew off, completely. :D