My geometry & corner balancing day

SteveR

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...got a decent quote off my old race team to fit them so not too painfull :rolleyes::D

How much labour do they reckon it'll take? I'm wondering if I should risk biting off more than I can chew and attempting a Winter DIY, or if I should just get the pros in.

The other thing it could be is a crap geometry setup. If you're running uneven, or LOTS of toe, I believe, (or -thinking aloud- little caster??) then you can have interesting handling at speed, as one side of the car occasionally gets more grip than the other and will want to shift the car diagonally across the road.

Get it baselined to see what you've currently got?

Could be geometry, tyres, or worn suspension bushes/joints. There must be a lot of Supras on the road now with less than perfect handling. I replaced all the suspension components on my own car a few years ago and it made MASSIVE difference to the handling, ride quality and grip levels.

I would get the car on a ramp and get all the bushes and joints checked over for excessive play. They are not cheap to replace, but for the difference it made to mine, it is by far THE best money I have spent on my car in 9 years of ownership.

Good write up here by Ian

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=119349

Cheers, lads!

Will get the track/alingment done and check everything underneath

How much labour do they reckon it'll take? I'm wondering if I should risk biting off more than I can chew and attempting a Winter DIY, or if I should just get the pros in.

Your looking at a full day to rip off the old and fit the new so approx £400, possibly a bit less as the old bolts will just get cut off so we'll see how it goes.

Not sure i'd want to diy this job unless i'd got a 2 post ramp to use along with the cutting tools :D definetly not on the drive on axle stands and in the cold !

Don't worry mate, done it dozens of times, but thankfully on cars that haven't had seized bolts! The ones on the parts car are fine as I had to losen a few to get other bits off. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try and get them for you.

I wonder if your ones are frozen due to the extra stress of the wider wheels/offsets? Will be interesting to know if they are slightly bent once you finally get them out (only takes a fraction of a mm!)

Not sure on bent bolts but doubt it tbh, there just siezed due to no copperslip or anything else being used when the car was built, we cant shift the nuts so they'll be cut off to get them out.

I shall fit new wishbones all round so think it best to fit new bolts and adjusters at the same time, if you can get them though im sure someone else will need them v soon, i just like spending money :D

Not sure on bent bolts but doubt it tbh, there just siezed due to no copperslip or anything else being used when the car was built, we cant shift the nuts so they'll be cut off to get them out.

I shall fit new wishbones all round so think it best to fit new bolts and adjusters at the same time, if you can get them though im sure someone else will need them v soon, i just like spending money :D

Did chris get any heat on the siezed bolts/nuts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cor look at those finals! Chris is bloody accurate isn't he! :D

Did he charge you full whack to have it all redone? I assume it was a much quicker & less sweary affair with all the new bits on board? ;)

He is very fussy and did a stunning job:) 5 1/2 hours :blink:

He did me a bit of discount :) and was like a kid at xmas with new toys to play with lol

Just taken the car through some twisty bits i know and wow is my only comment :) it was a little twitchy before on iffy rds and understeered to easily but now it feels planted, the only drawback is extra effort in steering required as the castor is now 4 degrees but worth it :D

He is very fussy and did a stunning job:) 5 1/2 hours :blink:

He did me a bit of discount :) and was like a kid at xmas with new toys to play with lol

Just taken the car through some twisty bits i know and wow is my only comment :) it was a little twitchy before on iffy rds and understeered to easily but now it feels planted, the only drawback is extra effort in steering required as the castor is now 4 degrees but worth it :D

Nice one :)

Why aren't you doing the club track day!? :p

Nice one :)

Why aren't you doing the club track day!? :p

I really want to but my wallets had a beating in the past month or two :(

calipers

discs

pads

new tyres

suspension + fitting and the geo labour costs.

I might just drive down to spectate though and see how quick you boys are :)

Only if there's a spare place mate - all 40 are gone right now. Do you want sticking on the reserves list just in case?

I think i'll just have a drive down and watch if i can, im sorting out a new kitchen and lounge for my mother and everything starts around then so its touch and go if i can get there to be honest.