The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rob Wild's Engine Build

rob wild

Looks good Rob, BL box still leaking? any ideas why? thought they were meant to be the dogs maracca's?

Looks like im going to be needing LOTS more power instead of A BIT more now LOL! Ah well, keep raising that bar matey ;) Will be interesting to see how mine fairs against the T61 when i've finished sorting the issues.

As per, shout if you need owt :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D give me a shout Rob when you want a brew and some "chilli" :p ............seriously i would love to watch and help out, love to learn some more about the oily whirly things that happen under the bonnet :rolleyes:

Cheers

-Ian-

Your more than welcome anytime buddy for a look and brew or we can utilizes your cooking skills :)

Looks good Rob, BL box still leaking? any ideas why? thought they were meant to be the dogs maracca's?

Looks like im going to be needing LOTS more power instead of A BIT more now LOL! Ah well, keep raising that bar matey ;) Will be interesting to see how mine fairs against the T61 when i've finished sorting the issues.

As per, shout if you need owt :)

Yeah the BL boxes WERE suppose to be good! :( :rolleyes: Will be interesting with yours matey we will have to give them a try next to each other :)

Just a mini update as I got back from holiday yesterday :)

Started stripping down. What im trying to do is assess whether the block is reusable ( before i spend anymore money on buying a new crane and engine stand) with the scoring so my first job is to remove the cylinder head to have a closer inspection of the bores. I will know much more then here's a couple of shot from today.

As part of the strip down i am tagging, boxing, bagging and cataloging everything that comes off the engine. Every will be throughly clean and inspected before its reused or replaced. I must say that so far the cams etc look in excellent condition!

good progress Rob, but holy sweet tap dancing jesus fella just spotted in pic 2 - THE DYSON - if my missus caught me with here dyson in the garage i would be hung, drawn, quarted, divorsed and castrated in very short order, i think your treading on thin ice fella :eyebrows:

good progress Rob, but holy sweet tap dancing jesus fella just spotted in pic 2 - THE DYSON - if my missus caught me with here dyson in the garage i would be hung, drawn, quarted, divorsed and castrated in very short order, i think your treading on thin ice fella :eyebrows:

LOL! I cleaned my garage out with the Dyson before starting my build too :D Just wait until he starts using the dishwasher to clean parts up... :D

LOL! I cleaned my garage out with the Dyson before starting my build too :D Just wait until he starts using the dishwasher to clean parts up... :D

LOL don't worry it was emptied, clean and returned before she had noticed :) Just wanted to make sure the area was as clean as possible until the garage floor is painted :)

Looks good mate ;)

THey were talking about this engine down at the ACE meet, the scoreing in the cyclinders etc. Turbofit work i believe :rolleyes:

no it wasn,t turbofits work matt

Yeah Gaz is right Matt TF have never been anywhere near it although its the sort of thing i could have believed they would do and wouldn't trust a engine built by them. Don't worry though this one is now in very safe hands :)

LOL don't worry it was emptied, clean and returned before she had noticed :) Just wanted to make sure the area was as clean as possible until the garage floor is painted :)

Yeah Gaz is right Matt TF have never been anywhere near it although its the sort of thing i could have believed they would do and wouldn't trust a engine built by them. Don't worry though this one is now in very safe hands :)

i so hope this goes really well for you mate:d

Right time for an update:

First of all everything seems to be going according to plan with no hidden surprises.

As i said in the previous update I removed the head making sure to follow the correct sequence (this is very important). Then on to the crank pulley; this is held on by the bottom pulley bolt which is 22mm. I had to made up a 'Y' shaped tool to lock the crank out whilst turning the bolt anti-clock wise remembering that the engine spins clock wise. These are on very very tight I thick my 'big bar' torque wrench was reading well over 200flb. Once i'd removed all the sensor, switches and mounting brackets I was onto the removing the connecting rod caps.

To remove the pistons simply undo the bolts in my case ARP. Its very important to keep the piston, bearing, rods etc together. Once the bolts are undone simply push the rod (with the piston still attached) up to the top of the bore and out.

Here's mine:

Once they were removed I wanted to do some measuring to make sure that the block, pistons etc were scrap. First of all i used my engineers flat (machined flat bar) and feeler gauge across the block i.e. from one corner to another to check for any warpage. The maximum warpage is 0.0028in. In my case i couldn't read any significant warpage which I was really pleased about :)

Now unfortunatly the as found by AFR the bores are scorn. But at this point I needed to check weather the block was reusable as I could clearly see that the bores had been hone'd so i needed to check that they had not been bored to 87mm. If the bores had this would have been game over because with the bore scoring I knew straight away visually that the block would need a rebore.

So I needed to check the bores and decided i was going to use a few different way. First off I took a reading with my digital calipers which measured the top of the bore 10mm down at 86.5mm. Which was great so i decided to check the rest. To check a bore correctly its important to check it in three different places i.e. 10mm off top, middle and 10mm from bottom. I used two different methods for this for QC. First off i used a cylinder gauge in the three different positions and recorded the readings. I then took a second reading again using the gauge. Next I took a piston ring and placed it square using a depth gauge in the three different places. This time i measured the ring gap. Again in my case 0.0021in worked out to be a piston ring that measured 86.49.

More updates to come shortly:)

Edited by rob wild (see edit history)

is the ring measurement pic just for demonstration, as i'm sure your aware Rob you dont measure on the cut outs of the vernier, and FFS stop mixing and matching thou and mil your giving me a head ache :D, seriously as an apprentoid i would have been strung up for using both scales as there is the potential for error, what happened to cause the scoring and are your pistons shot

thats one nice looking beer fridge in the background!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Dont worry there is two one for err :limp: larger drinkers and another one next two it for stout and really beer for the blokes :D

is the ring measurement pic just for demonstration, as i'm sure your aware Rob you dont measure on the cut outs of the vernier, and FFS stop mixing and matching thou and mil your giving me a head ache :D, seriously as an apprentoid i would have been strung up for using both scales as there is the potential for error, what happened to cause the scoring and are your pistons shot

Lol yeah just for show buddy :) TBH I was really only doing the second method to check the correctness of my new gauge :) Sorry for the IN to MM i'll go back and alter them, I'm only using one measurement type for the build side of things i.e. .in. :)

I think that it was build in a poor environment and was cleaned down before installation i.e. FO were not removed :rolleyes: TBH there has been a few school boy errors i've noticed whislt stripping it down but this isn't a witch hut :)

Cheers for the support guys and another big update shortly its going off to the machine shop tomorrow :)

I'm only using one measurement type for the build side of things i.e. .in. :)

old skool :, sorry bud, there was me thinking you were'nt old enough :D, being brought up on German/Austrian machinery i am strictly metric, at my old place i used to have to talk to the old toolmakers with a zeus chart in my hand when they started babling about "thou" (and vise versa) to try and understand WTF they were on about, you'll lose probably everyone on the forum (possibly with the exception of CW :D) talking imperial :D keep up the good work

Did you use a torque wrench for undoing the bottom pulley bolt? I was under the impression that you should only use a torque wrench for tightening stuff and use a things like a breaker bar to get ready tightly done up stuff undone.

(Happy to be wrong here, I'm just a trainee mechanic and just picking up stuff as I go along)

Did you use a torque wrench for undoing the bottom pulley bolt? I was under the impression that you should only use a torque wrench for tightening stuff and use a things like a breaker bar to get ready tightly done up stuff undone.

(Happy to be wrong here, I'm just a trainee mechanic and just picking up stuff as I go along)

My 'Big Bar' torque wrench is very old and broken but its great for undoing tight bolts as it goes to 3 1/2 ft long. I would not recommend undoing bolts with normal torque wrenches plus most including mine recommend leaving them with the springs undone.

Edited by rob wild (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Struggling to get hold of some pistons :( Had some bought of ebay Wiseco 87mm for 300 quid but then the seller refunded me due to a supply issue :( Think I may have found some Mahle 87mm ones which really are excellent pistons!

Arias: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-SUPRA-2JZ-ARIAS-PISTONS-RINGS-PINS-87-mm_W0QQitemZ160162310514QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160162310514&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have zero experience with Arias pistons though I'm afraid.