The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a mpg

JIMBOW1

:respekt: :thumbs:

Maybe I should stop reading that Hilliers Fundamentals of Motor Vehicle Technology book I got for Christmas!!! :tongue:

I agree, th point is proven by all the quotes of MPG in this thread. Where has the TT exceeded the NA on MPG?

You also have to remember the gearing is different on the two cars, i would think that would have an effect too (relative RPM's etc)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all down to the brake specific fuel consumption (as I've been finding out recently)

This is basically a measure of how much fuel an engine takes to create 1 HP in lb/hr. (You can multiply this by 10.2 to get cc/min) How you then use that HP is down to all the other variables of an engine. (ie air con, gearing, frictional losses, drag etc)

Turbo charged cars have a BSFC of 0.6-0.65 meaning it will take 0.65lb/hr of fuel to create 1 HP.

Supercharged cars have a BSFC of 0.55-0.6 and NA cars have BSFC of 0.5-0.55. So basically, a turbo charged engine is less efficient than a NA.

It's all down to the brake specific fuel consumption (as I've been finding out recently)

This is basically a measure of how much fuel an engine takes to create 1 HP in lb/hr. (You can multiply this by 10.2 to get cc/min) How you then use that HP is down to all the other variables of an engine. (ie air con, gearing, frictional losses, drag etc)

Turbo charged cars have a BSFC of 0.6-0.65 meaning it will take 0.65lb/hr of fuel to create 1 HP.

Supercharged cars have a BSFC of 0.55-0.6 and NA cars have BSFC of 0.5-0.55. So basically, a turbo charged engine is less efficient than a NA.

Although this figure will change over the rev range, and the figure for the TT may be given as an average. it will likely be lower when not generating boost.

I agree, th point is proven by all the quotes of MPG in this thread. Where has the TT exceeded the NA on MPG?

Well I average just over 20mpg around town with the odd blast up a sliproad and onto a motorway. I always reset my 'b' trip odo when I get fuel and I always put in £30 and get 286km (roughly :p ) on it.

And I got to Nottingham and back on just over 3/4 tank all motorway - that's about 32mpg.

Still 400+bhp as well!! :D

Roughly I'm getting 21mpg from my NA manual without any motorway driving. Improves a bit on the motorway. That's with Super Unleaded which I always find less economical than normal 95.

Exactly what I got from my na

TT seems to be about 1 mpg less - even if i hammer it :D

Doing almost identical trips to work and back until I ran out of fuel from a full tank the mileages were as follows:

1993 GZ TT Auto = 244 Miles

1994 SZ-R Manual 5sp = 308 Miles

Both cars completely stock engine wise, except for RSR exhaust on the NA. But it still has its cats in so probably no real change in consumption.

The TT was running on a tank of Optimax and the NA running a tank od Sainsbury's normal unleaded.

You should also note there was a significant difference in the cost of the petrol as well.

Doing almost identical trips to work and back until I ran out of fuel from a full tank the mileages were as follows:

1993 GZ TT Auto = 244 Miles

1994 SZ-R Manual 5sp = 308 Miles

Both cars completely stock engine wise, except for RSR exhaust on the NA. But it still has its cats in so probably no real change in consumption.

The TT was running on a tank of Optimax and the NA running a tank od Sainsbury's normal unleaded.

You should also note there was a significant difference in the cost of the petrol as well.

I would say the RSR makes its do a few MPG less even with the cats in.

I would say the RSR makes its do a few MPG less even with the cats in.

Depends if the biggest restriction is the cats or baffle in the rear section of the standard exhaust.

On a TT the cats are the most restrictive. Unless the design if that different for an NA.

A freer-flowing exhaust system should improve mpg as the engine becomes more efficient. To do the same road speed the engine wastes less power forcing the exhaust gases out. Of course, what people actually find it it boosts higher and goes faster, so it *seems* like it's less economical :)

-Ian

A freer-flowing exhaust system should improve mpg as the engine becomes more efficient. To do the same road speed the engine wastes less power forcing the exhaust gases out. Of course, what people actually find it it boosts higher and goes faster, so it *seems* like it's less economical :)

-Ian

I think the power gains would more than eat up the reduced pumping losses. The cylinder pressure change during the exhaust stroke is very low. Less than that during the induction stroke.

I was trying to find a pressure versus volume curve on the web that showed this, but I can't. :(

I think the power gains would more than eat up the reduced pumping losses. The cylinder pressure change during the exhaust stroke is very low. Less than that during the induction stroke.

I was trying to find a pressure versus volume curve on the web that showed this, but I can't. :(

OK, scratch that. I still think the net effect would be a decrease in fuel efficiency, but I can't show it directly from the P/V curve.

I did stumble across this though.