The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ok i need help with respray

The Raven

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok just saw the pictures because they werent opening on my machine (pop up blocker). that doesnt look as if its been lacquered enough. but not to worry. one coat of lacquer is more than enough. DO NOT GO OVER THE TOP with the sanding. seen as it looks as if its got a thin layer, you dont want to risk taking it off and the paint underneath gets wrecked. all u need is a small amount of sanding just to eat a thin layer in the lacquer and a whole load of polishing. if you see the picture of my car in my garage, it was exactly like yours but i did a lot of smooth sanding and a lot of polishing and you can see yourself it worked for me.

No offence mate but

I wont go into details but my car has been resprayed, the spray itself is top notch however the clear coat isnt right

is being overly kind.

A good spray job is one that looks good when you collect the car ;)

Hopefully its fixable but I would DEFINATELY get a detailing/paint correction guru with the right kit (paint depth measure for one) to try and fix it.

Got any pics of the hole car mate ? looks like you will get away with a flat and polish on wing and that but i would say the bonnet needs redoing , If the rest of the car is like the wing there is no problem easy fix ,

I no your situation but i would take the bonnet back to the guy that sprayed it and ask him to just apply another coat of clear as there is no reflection to it ! It wont take much for him to do it so should not see a problem there ,

Thanks Matt,

The wing was like the bonnet before i started on it.

The only other pics i have right now are on page two. Im still out there working on the door. Might bite the bullet call someone to have a look at it failing that will a total new top coat fix this?

like i said before mate, waxes and t-cuts dont do it. they are a 'temporary fix' after a little while it will all fade off leaving it all like that again. all sprayed cars have that type of dingy dull effect. this is because of 2 reasons. it hasnt been polished with the right stuff or that not enough lacquer was put on. try the mop and compound see if it does the trick and if it doesnt then you can always get afew more coats of lacquer.

Guest Afection2Detail
Just needs a good flat and polish mate if done by pro be about £350 it would be well worth getting it done , So don't despair mate easy fix .

Matt, you make it sound so easy :D

Looking at the photos that looks like a really fine dry orange peel. As far as rectification it depends on how much clear is on it. Matt puts plenty on and it makes the correction process easier as such. On a paintjob that needs sanding you can never have enough clearcoat on it.

In regard to the sanding, I myself finish off with 4000 to try and get as good a finish as possible. As Matt knows, I'm picky and I do strive to get the best finish I can in the time available.

If you are happy with the section you carried out with just SRP and its on a bad section then you won't need any sanding carrying out. Getting the gloss back is the easy bit, getting glass sharp reflections isn't. It all depends what you're after.

Anyway, I have your email and will send some more info over.

Thanks

Nad

• 2 weeks later...