The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DANGEROUS unwanted full throttle situation

BOB B

Thanks everyone Ill now answer all new posts.

Gordan.

I think if it was related to the work I had done I would have thought something would have shown up earlier, that said Im going to check all the work out big time.

Smellywelshman.

sounds very much like what happened to me I shall have a good look at the cc stuff.

Homar.

yes it deffinatally was full power I realy had to stump on the go slowie pedal with both feet to bring it to a stop. Im going to go through all the machanical side of the throttle.

Kranz.

It was very hard to say if the pedal went all the way to the floor, I was too busy to think to check stuff at the time.

Fargo.

If I did have something stuck in the butterfly it would be stuck in WOT all the time, although I supose it could have cleared.

MikeM and Wez.

Good point, just happened so quick and I needed to bring it to a stop rappid at the time.

THANKS for all the comments and wishes.

Im going out tomorrow early poddle to the M27 (so stay well clear) and see if I can recreate the problem, as said above I can always put it in neutral and seperate the drive from the engine.

Ive got a few things to get on with and Ill post or do a new thread to let you know how things go.

Thanks.

Bob.

Edited by BOB B (see edit history)

Guest dangerousandy

My Supra is pretty much the same spec as yours and i have been out in it today and "accidently" knocked the CC on at 30 mph.............and it just sat at 30mph lol!!!

However, one of the Jaguar XJ-S 3.6's that I had a few years back used to do this and i f**king s**t myself when it first happened!! The cause of that was the throttle pedal snagging on the overmats............

But.... I had a Vauxhall Senator 3.0i 24v auto and the CC has a memory function (remembers the last set speed) and the on/off switch is helpfully placed on the end of the indicator stalk!! Not quite the sudden alleceration you mention but not good when trying to turn!!

jaguar xjs 3.6 9.jpg

vauxhall senator 2.jpg

Edited by dangerousandy (see edit history)

Can you take the cruise control cable off the butterfly actuator? Then if it never happens again you *may* have solved it..... just have no cruise anymore :)

Its not worth trying to replicate it. You (or someone else) may end up deaded :shock:

Wouldn't it just sit on the rev limiter??

Sit or bounce constantly off it til you shut the engine off. Imagine if you will some berko-witz on his throttle and opening it up for 10 seconds. You wince openly. Now do it for 30 seconds, you'd be cringing. Now do it at coast down speed until you find somewhere safe to stop your car!!!! Given the choice I'd go for 4th gear. Bear in mind that below 70 mph the auto 4th gear is gutless.

Sit or bounce constantly off it til you shut the engine off. Imagine if you will some berko-witz on his throttle and opening it up for 10 seconds. You wince openly. Now do it for 30 seconds, you'd be cringing. Now do it at coast down speed until you find somewhere safe to stop your car!!!! Given the choice I'd go for 4th gear. Bear in mind that below 70 mph the auto 4th gear is gutless.

I'd key off one notch from ignition on to accessory position in that case :D As long as the car's still moving I'd still be able to bring it in dead stick... no power steering and all LOL

I'd key off one notch from ignition on to accessory position in that case :D As long as the car's still moving I'd still be able to bring it in dead stick... no power steering and all LOL

I was going to say mate that once you knock off power steering in a car with power steering its harder to manouver than a car that doesnt have it full stop!

I was going to say mate that once you knock off power steering in a car with power steering its harder to manouver than a car that doesnt have it full stop!

I know, higher ratio on assisted cars so you get lower turns lock to lock. Especially sports cars that have that 'quick rack' feeling.

I've done it in the Supe and its fine above 30.... its just carpark speeds where you need to be built like Arnie :D

Bob, you didn't say if it was a facelift or not.

The later spec cars have fly by wire, so potentially a electrical glitch *could* do this. (Although it would have to be a pretty bizaare glitch to do this!) I imagine if it's definitely the case then Toyota would be pretty interested in hearing about it.

If you've got a non-facelift mechanical throttle, then I'm afraid I would have to call user error in some way. There's just no mechanical way, even if the cruise control went mad, or the idle air control went mental, that it would pull the kind of acceleration that you're talking about.

If the TPS sensor started to give a false reading, without the throttle butterfly being opened, then it would overfuel massively and you would end up bunny hopping down the road.

The only way it could actually accelerate is if something physically let more air in. Which says to me idle air control valve, or cruise control. At wide open (60 odd % duty) the idle air control solenoid valve will only rev to about 3000rpm at best - and that's with no load on the engine. (I've performed this test many a time whilst adjusting my idle settings on the AEM - it just won't rev past about 2500 rpm).

The cruise control has so many fail-safes in it, it's unreal. Plus if for some reason it did decide to open the throttle, there's a switch on the brake pedal that cuts the power to the cruise control ECU. So there would have to be multiple instantaneous, intermittent failures all at once. Pretty unlikely....

So if it was neither of those two, what was it that open the butterfly and let more air into the engine? There isn't anything physically in the engine that could have done it, so it only leaves some kind of user intervention. Be it floor mats, hitting the brake rather than the accelerator or some kind of otherworldly action.

Either that or your car is either Carrie or Herbie....

Hi poeple.

Well Im stumped, I have taken the car out early on sunday morning, no one on the road, I must have covered 50 miles trying to recreate my problem and unfortunately I couldnt.

I have looked at all the points poeple have sugested and anything else I could think of, looking at TLicences comments and totally agree about idle control valve and of course it does didnt think at the time but pressing the brake will take cruise off.

Like everyone says it could be opperater error but Im 99% convinced it wasnt, I hate it when things do this. Im going to test it a few more times then Im going to have to use it, just have to think about it all the time and be carefull. If there is ANY change I will re-thread.

Thanks again all who posted.

Bob.

• 1 year later...