The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does this sound ok - email from potential buyer in Denmark

razza

Why don't you ask his phone number in Denmark and call him? First you will know if he is in Denmark to start with and ask him questions about his "shipping agent" etc. Sometimes you can understand by someone's voice if he's honest or not, email is too easy if you see what I mean. Also, I think there's no real risk giving your IBAN and BIC for an international bank transfer, once you've established the bloke's genuine. Just make sure he pays any fees the bank may charge for such transfer.

Now it's changing. Shipping agent sound absolutely dodgy, I would belive, that if someone is splashing 10k+ on the car, he can afford 80 pounds ticket to fly over and see car in person. Drop it, unless shipping agent will give you all in cash and it can be verified as non false in bank :p

I'll see what his next response is to my last questions, it is a bit odd you wouldn't come over personally to see the car, but lots of people do it when importing from Japan and never seeing the car personally.

I'll have to research the issue with transfers etc. to ensure that if this does go ahead I'm covered 100% and the funds cannot be withdrawn. Time to visit the bank I think....

must admit he's deffo not acting like a typical danish buyer.

But like Multics says, ask for he's phone number. I'd be happy to call him have a chat "danish style" ofcourse ;-) then we'll establish if he's a dane or not.

haven't heard back from him following my latest emails to him asking for more details about his real name and shipping agent, and confirming the car wouldn't be released until the cash is verified by the bank, sounds like it might be a scam:(

Think it is danish though as this was on the email returned to me previously from the email I sent him (I'm Darren by the way):

--- Den ons 2008-06-25 skrev Pickard, Darren {PI} :

Från: Pickard, Darren {PI}

Ämne: RE: 1996 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 Turbo 3dr Auto Liftback for sale .

Till: [email protected]

Datum: onsdag 25 juni 2008 08.33

Bugger if it's not real, going to p!$$ me off!!! so looks like it's still for sale....

Razza, also, NEVER accept PayPal for a car.

Unless you can prove they have obtained the item Paypal will automatically refund them should they bring a complaint. Even if you get a signature, a photo of them shaking your hand etc PayPal cannot say whether it is the true customer and thus you automatically lose. It is one of the most common forms of Fraud on eBay so i'm told.

The only way to prevent against charge backs is to send recorded delivery to a verified address, and obviously this cant be done with a car.

Razza, also, NEVER accept PayPal for a car.

Unless you can prove they have obtained the item Paypal will automatically refund them should they bring a complaint. Even if you get a signature, a photo of them shaking your hand etc PayPal cannot say whether it is the true customer and thus you automatically lose. It is one of the most common forms of Fraud on eBay so i'm told.

The only way to prevent against charge backs is to send recorded delivery to a verified address, and obviously this cant be done with a car.

never knew that, thanks for the advice:thumbs:

Guest adnams

I've had the exact same initial email, but with my car(not a supra unfortunately), and my value inserted instead (over 20k btw), i have replied, stating roughly where the car is based and given him a mobile number, but after requesting for a mobile or home number from him, he just contacts me regarding the copenhagen shipping service and how they will pick it up once the cheque has cleared.... now to receive a cheque i just need to give him my name, and address, however this information can be used for identity theft can't it. He has also requested for more photos, when there are 9! on autotrader!! he says he wants to confirm authenticity.

Sent by same name and email address too.

Edited by adnams (see edit history)

I've had the exact same initial email, but with my car(not a supra unfortunately), and my value inserted instead (over 20k btw), i have replied, stating roughly where the car is based and given him a mobile number, but after requesting for a mobile or home number from him, he just contacts me regarding the copenhagen shipping service and how they will pick it up once the cheque has cleared.... now to receive a cheque i just need to give him my name, and address, however this information can be used for identity theft can't it. He has also requested for more photos, when there are 9! on autotrader!! he says he wants to confirm authenticity.

Sent by same name and email address too.

t0ssers!!