The mkiv Supra Owners Club

which way to tackle the oil filter

supra_si

after nearly 8 years of supra ownership and my wife once said i had compulsive obsessive oil changing disorder (i took this as a compliment :D) i have tried every method, i finally settled on from the top, unbolt the power steering reservoir and pull it forward out of the way, there is a lot of give in the pipes and i use some string tyed to the rad cap, there is also part of the wiring harness that just clips off as well, you then have enough room to get your arm in, if you are unlucky and some idiot has over tightened the filter with a tool you may have to do the old ram a screw driver through it gag, i allways use a plastic bag (freezer bags are good - no holes) and remember you only need to tighten it hand tight

Same as what I do except I have a metal-band based filter removal tool from halfords that is absolute gold. And I use twin tesco carrier bags to catch the filter, as then it looks like recyclable waste in my wheelie bin :innocent:

-Ian

is their a thread or guide to changing the oil and the filter correctly..i want to change my engine oil for sure but probably a bit afraid id get it wrong.. any tips?

It is so easy, take the buttom tip off so it drain all the oil, reach your arm up from under the car grab the oil filter gently turn it until its off.. When all the oil is drained replug the tip. Screw a new oil filter on, and put new oil on the car.

DONE! takes about 10min.

Same as what I do except I have a metal-band based filter removal tool from halfords that is absolute gold. And I use twin tesco carrier bags to catch the filter, as then it looks like recyclable waste in my wheelie bin :innocent:

-Ian

Ah the old twin carrier bag mod :D

oh sweetness!! will be doing that.. and probably a lot more often ! cheers dude needed that hehe! :D

It is so easy, take the buttom tip off so it drain all the oil, reach your arm up from under the car grab the oil filter gently turn it until its off.. When all the oil is drained replug the tip. Screw a new oil filter on, and put new oil on the car.

DONE! takes about 10min.

after nearly 8 years of supra ownership and my wife once said i had compulsive obsessive oil changing disorder (i took this as a compliment :D) i have tried every method, i finally settled on from the top, unbolt the power steering reservoir and pull it forward out of the way, there is a lot of give in the pipes and i use some string tyed to the rad cap, there is also part of the wiring harness that just clips off as well, you then have enough room to get your arm in, if you are unlucky and some idiot has over tightened the filter with a tool you may have to do the old ram a screw driver through it gag, i allways use a plastic bag (freezer bags are good - no holes) and remember you only need to tighten it hand tight

yep same as me, and I had to use the old screw driver method first time I did it. Only thing I will add it to stick a polythene bag over the top before its removed as this can catch most of the oil before it runs up your arms

I did it from the top no problem. Only strange thing i found is that it was hand tight lol.

Alot of people make the mistake of doing them really tight. Look on most oil filters and they say how to tighten.

Buy one of these

Which is? Bowl for food larger than the hole?

Have you done it yet mate?

I found the best way to remove the filter is from above, standing by the n/s front wing. You'll need to get 2 hands on it so :-

Disconnect and remove the battery (this creates access for your left hand between numerous hoses and cables)

Undo 3 bolts and move some kind of module out of the way which sits directly above the suspension strut (this creates access for your right hand)

Unclip 1 hose just above and to the r/h/s of the filter

Clean the filter up using loads of kitchen towels, a bit of washing up liquid and then drying thoroughly (this will improve your grip greatly)

Wash hands with washing up liquid. You can then get 2 clean dry hands on the clean and dry filter and with a bit of brut strength you should be able to undo the filter by hand

As soon as you get it moving, get an air tight bag and hold it underneath the filter to catch the oil and the filter as it comes out

Job done :D