The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NOS or Not

fruity_south

Mate, there is a lot there you dont need, and that price is about twice what you can pay. Bottle heaters you dont need......the NA's are pretty strong and can take it....;)

I would get bottle warmers, mine was next to useless unless i had the bottles up to temperature on cars and bikes ive had with Nos.

I love it when 'experts' contradict one another :D

I love it when 'experts' contradict one another :D

Im no expert just speaking from my experience of it, when i never had a bottle warmer on the bike i use to heat it up with my wifes hair dryer before i went out on the bike:D the hotter the bottle the more pressure the nos has and the faster it comes out;) huge difference in punch between a hot and cold bottle.

bottle warmer is absolutely critical for a properly operating system.

example.. have the bottle filled.. 850-900 psi and freezing cold..

use it for two days,, pressure is 450.

you must keep the pressure at a constant for the mixture to stay correct.

same reason we use a fpr on a fuel injection system.

seems maybe youve not managed to get the results from nitrous i have.. or maybe youd found it very hit and miss??

ive used nitrous to the ragged edge of its brutal performance.. things like a 50 shot on a 250hp engine are very minimal and pretty much anyone could jet it and not melt it.

example.. 2l 16v motor - all motor 148hp

on gas. 262.8hp

so just quickly tell me what parts are un-necesary on that list?

your telling a baker how to make a loaf of bread here!! sorry

Guest Rays the roof
just a bummer when your bottle runs out, which it will do after about 20mins spirited driving......

Mate, I am running 100shot and 2 x 5lb bottles (£50) lasts 15 runs on a drag strip. That's less than 5 minutes!!!

Guest Rays the roof
Thor racing look like they install it at a decent price.

Except they are hopeless at fitting it and rip you off. Charged me £1200 and put the solenoids in the wrong location and forgot to reconnect the electrics to the engine solenoid after testing the purge line. W*nk*rs.

I don't get bitter, just even!

Once properly installed 100 shot took 3 seconds off my 1/4 mile time, putting me well amonst the TT boys and a 2.042 sixty foot time (approx 5.9 sec 0-60). Look in 'Supra chat - drag times'

;)

Edited by Rays the roof (see edit history)

Guest Rays the roof
Mate, there is a lot there you dont need, and that price is about twice what you can pay. Bottle heaters you dont need......the NA's are pretty strong and can take it....;)

Like any gas in a chamber the warmer it gets the higher the internal pressure will be. The Nitrous Oxide has a perfect temperature when the liquid is ready to turn into gas and this occurs when the solenoids are opened reducing pressure. Forget the expensive warmers and fit a pressure gauge. You would only need to heat the bottle(s) if using in winter, as 20 - 28 C gets them warm enough to have the optimum pressure. In winter, turn on your car heater and hey presto, you saved a shed load of cash.

:search:

Edited by Rays the roof (see edit history)

A wet nos system is just basically a nos feed line and petrol feed line that both feed into your intake somewhere, usually they are placed just before the throttle body, and then when its armed each line will feed a small amount of nitrous oxide and petrol mixed together into your air going in, this is how you acheive your bigger bang. Obvioulsy the size of the nozzle depends how much nitrous oxide is released. This is bascially a cheap and easy way to install nos and its know as the wet system because its mixed with petrol.

Direct port, is where the nitrous is fed into each cylinder by its own port thats drilled in the side of the cylinder wall, basically feeding nitrous oxide direct into the chamber, this is also known as a dry setup. This way is a lot more acurate with the amount of nitrous being feed in and a lot more controlled, and is usually only required when you start to run a large amount of nitrous, but obviously having ports drilled into your cylinder walls is a lot more expensice then drilling to feed lines into your intake somewhere....

This is incorrect mate..

First of all, a dry setup is where you ONLY add nitrous, no additional fuel.

A wet setup is where you add both nitrous and the right amount of fuel.

Both dry and wet can be done as a fogger setup where you spray it pre-TB, but obviously a wet system is preferable for more precise dosage.

second of all, a direct port setup is where you tap the intake runners and therefore gets a much more even (and controllable) distribution on all cylinders.. A DP is almost always done as a wet setup, again for obvious reasons.

You do NOT tap directly into the cylinders, that would be asking for trouble!