The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The smokey supra question again sorry?

simonf

yeah, bloody supra's! If the stem seals have gone and I have a oil leak, Once I get them sorted the next thing will be the turbos! Is the Stem Seals a Must to get done or is it ok for a while?

Lew.

Tbh Lew, stems seals will be ok for a while. If your Turbo seals are on their way, get them done first as you dont want to cause more damage...

Do you have blue smoke under boost??

Honestly and truly, just buy a 5 litre container of decent oil and just enjoy the car, most smoke a bit once de catted, the lack of back pressure and some (normal) wear in stem seals or turbo seals causes it. It could go on for another 50,000 miles like that, no worries. Just check the oil level and slap in a bit of synthetic every now and then as required.

so are you going to get this repaird or is it some thing that is not that important?

Lew.

Not yet, Its really bad after sitting for two weeks and struggles to start but day to day its almost fine bar a few puffs here an there.

I really want to have a go at it myself but were moving house soon so would be best to wait.

I'll try some different oil next service its running Mobile 1 (15w/ something or other) at the moment.

i noticed mine doing it for the first time friday morning, my car has 80000miles on it, i had this week off so havint used the car all week and i jumped in it friday i started her up and pulled straight off, (normally i seem to sit there for a short while before i pull off). there was a pretty decent blue cloud behind me, ok after, one thing ive noticed is i use my car every day to work and back 20mile round trip and it does not smoke on start up at all if i use my car car everyday, only if its been parked up for 3days+, oil level is always spot on, i remember my old xr2i used to do it. dont think its much to think about to be honest, its an engine at the end of the day.

well left my car from the friday morning when i took it out, till monday morning 5am to go to work, its daylight at that time so could see tidy and my car did not smoke not even a tiny bit, same again stared her up and pulled off, no smoke, my stem seals cannot be that bad, maybe just alittle worn, overall very happy with the car, 3months of great ownership so far:)