The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Life after Supra?

TrevS

I honestly can't see me changing my Supra for anything other than another Supra but..

From your list, if it was me, i would go for the Esprit. One of the coolest cars ever made and i would love to own one even if only for a little while.

Am i right in saying they are a little unreliable though?

I honestly can't see me changing my Supra for anything other than another Supra but..

From your list, if it was me, i would go for the Esprit. One of the coolest cars ever made and i would love to own one even if only for a little while.

Am i right in saying they are a little unreliable though?

I have spoke to a few Esprit owners who have said to allow £4-5k a year for servicing and maintance which is a bit alarming

I have spoke to a few Esprit owners who have said to allow £4-5k a year for servicing and maintance which is a bit alarming

Even still, i would have to. Even if it was only for 6 months :D

There is not another car on that list, in my opinion, that has the prestige of saying you own a Lotus Esprit.

Even still, i would have to. Even if it was only for 6 months :D

My only other worry would be getting rid of the car once the novelty had worn off. Selling an Esprit must be very difficult. I have seen some on Autotrader that have been on there 4 months or more.

I think a porsche would make more financial sense as it would probably be easier to shift and also probably drop less in price during ownership

I have also been looking at the possibility of converting a 996 to 997 and spoke to a company that did this car:

Think you'll agree a very nice car. The conversion would cost around £12k though so I'd probably need to look for a accident/repairable or stolen/recovered car to use as a base.

Edited by TrevS (see edit history)

My only other worry would be getting rid of the car once the novelty had worn off. Selling an Esprit must be very difficult. I have seen some on Autotrader that have been on there 4 months or more.

I think a porsche would make more financial sense as it would probably be easier to shift and also probably drop less in price during ownership

I would be worried about selling it on but that still wouldn't put me off.

None of the cars on that list make financial sense. I didnt buy a sup because it was good on fuel, cheap to insure and the servicing was buttons. I bought it because i wanted it.

If you have 20k to spend on a sports car buy the one you want, not the one that makes the most sense. At the end of the day none of them really make sense, they are not meant to.

I would be worried about selling it on but that still wouldn't put me off.

None of the cars on that list make financial sense. I didnt buy a sup because it was good on fuel, cheap to insure and the servicing was buttons. I bought it because i wanted it.

If you have 20k to spend on a sports car buy the one you want, not the one that makes the most sense. At the end of the day none of them really make sense, they are not meant to.

lol, yes your probably right

Personally I am going for a TVR Tuscan when the supra has gone.

I have read a lot into them and also talked to a lot of owners so know they will go bang at some point however if you get a TVR with the Speed 6 engine that has had a recent rebuild it should be ok. Some of the tuscans are pushing 40-50k miles now and some of them have had no problems

Personally I am going for a TVR Tuscan when the supra has gone.

I have read a lot into them and also talked to a lot of owners so know they will go bang at some point however if you get a TVR with the Speed 6 engine that has had a recent rebuild it should be ok. Some of the tuscans are pushing 40-50k miles now and some of them have had no problems

What the owners say when they own them and after they have sold tem are two different things.

I could not say with a clear conscience that a rebuilt speed 6 will be ok.

40k Tuscans with no problems or niggles are rare (as in I don't know of any rare).

When someone gets 150k out of an unopened 6 then they can say there are no problems.

What the owners say when they own them and after they have sold tem are two different things.

I could not say with a clear conscience that a rebuilt speed 6 will be ok.

40k Tuscans with no problems or niggles are rare (as in I don't know of any rare).

When someone gets 150k out of an unopened 6 then they can say there are no problems.

I am not saying there are no problems what I saying is the rebuilds are getting better all time. I have talked to owners who have and have had Speed six cars and all of them say the 2000-2001 were most prone to failer at some point however with the newer rebuilds and later engines they seem to be better (far from reliable however). In my mind the pro's out weigh the con's I mean if the engine needs to be rebuilt every 15k miles at least its cheaper than having a Ferrari serviced ever 4k

I am not saying there are no problems what I saying is the rebuilds are getting better all time. I have talked to owners who have and have had Speed six cars and all of them say the 2000-2001 were most prone to failer at some point however with the newer rebuilds and later engines they seem to be better (far from reliable however). In my mind the pro's out weigh the con's I mean if the engine needs to be rebuilt every 15k miles at least its cheaper than having a Ferrari serviced ever 4k

That's up to you, but so far only one builder has put their money where there mouth is and tested their engines to destruction, but you pay £15k for it. If I were yo I'd enquire about one of thiers or get a dead Tuscan and sink £15k into that.

That's up to you, but so far only one builder has put their money where there mouth is and tested their engines to destruction, but you pay £15k for it. If I were yo I'd enquire about one of thiers or get a dead Tuscan and sink £15k into that.

My thoughts were spending below budget and stick some cash into an ISA so if the engine goes I got the money. If it dosnt go I got money making money.

TVR Power now offer 3 year (I think) warentys on engine builds now. Wilder are also comming alone leaps and bounds as well.

Wilder are the only ones I would go to atm.

yeah that was what I was thinking, when I one was going to send it to them to have a look at and advise me on any parts that might need changing or things to keep an eye on.

Dulford are also supose to be pretty good