The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finally BPU +++++++

Scott

are you TT or N/A if your TT i think any member will say hands down that BPU is worth every penny, and if you do it like me and wait till you see a second hand bargin then its worth it more :eyebrows:

Theres allways second hand FCD I got a thor one and i got my decats, hks and CW of here, so saved big time on the whole bpu set up.

Hey Scotster let me know how you get on, I am playing with the idea of decat and ARC induction

Let me know if Decat is worth doing and what Diff you feel

I can't really comment as i have always been almost BPU. I have a mines ecu so that meant i was boosting at 1 bar anyway.

Already i have noticed that the turbo spools a little earlier and seems much louder. I'm assuming thats because its spinning sooner and the engine revs aren't drowning out the sound.

I haven't driven a stock one but i think its fair to say the difference is massive.

Ok something strange is happening. I'm hoping its not a kink in my boost gauge coz its going to get even better if it isn't.

Got the foot down in 3rd and 4th going onto the motorway. Roads were dry as you like and traction control came on in 3rd :eyebrows: However, boost gauge only read just under 1 bar. I noticed this in 1st and 2nd on Wednesday but i guessed that was the ECU holding back to help with traction.

Now then, if i check the pressure with another gauge and its the same i only see 2 options. Remove the restrictor ring or add a boost controller. I could get away with a MBC for now but will move onto an EBC when i have the money. Is this the best idea or should i get rid of the RR and see what it boosts to?

Its strange, as the car seems to pull a bit stronger than it did with the 1st CAT in but there seems to be less boost on the gauge.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome :)

It's probably that the hole in the restrictor ring is too small and needs opening up a little, ie. it is too much of a restriction at the moment. Restrictor rings are not an exact science, you'll need a little trial and error to get the right size opening for your car.

Note, you will always make more boost in higher gears (3rd and above) compared to lower gears (1st and 2nd), as the engine is under more load, it has nothing to do with the ECU. Similarly you will make more boost going up a hill, as the engine is under more load.

Personally I would leave it at 1bar and then use either an EBC or MBC to raise the boost to the desired level. The more expensive EBC's allow you to map the boost level against speed, so you can get maximum boost through all gears. With a MBC and cheaper EBC's that don't have this function, you will need to set the max boost in say 4th gear, but you will make less boost in the lower gears ie. 1st and 2nd.

More expensive EBC's also usually have what is called a 'gain' feature, this keeps the wastegate closed longer allowing the turbos to spool up a lot quicker.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

It's probably that the hole in the restrictor ring is too small and needs opening up a little, ie. it is too much of a restriction at the moment. Restrictor rings are not an exact science, you'll need a little trial and error to get the right size opening for your car.

Note, you will always make more boost in higher gears (3rd and above) compared to lower gears (1st and 2nd), as the engine is under more load, it has nothing to do with the ECU. Similarly you will make more boost going up a hill, as the engine is under more load.

Personally I would leave it at 1bar and then use either an EBC or MBC to raise the boost to the desired level. The more expensive EBC's allow you to map the boost level against speed, so you can get maximum boost through all gears. With a MBC and cheaper EBC's that don't have this function, you will need to set the max boost in say 4th gear, but you will make less boost in the lower gears ie. 1st and 2nd.

More expensive EBC's also usually have what is called a 'gain' feature, this keeps the wastegate closed longer allowing the turbos to spool up a lot quicker.

Ooo that sounds good (the gain feature). I think i will go down that route as it would be nice to have an EBC controlling it. I think i'll get my hands on a grainger valve just now while i save up.

What boost controllers am i looking at with in speed mapping and gain features?

I'd fit either a Blitz i-color or HKS EVC VI, both have the features mentioned, plus a lot more.

Sounds good, what price am i looking at posted for the above and also is it something i could fit and set up myself or would i need to allow for fitting etc?

Sounds good, what price am i looking at posted for the above and also is it something i could fit and set up myself or would i need to allow for fitting etc?

either are easy to fit - I have the Blitz IDIII which is also "map-able"

I can't really comment as i have always been almost BPU. I have a mines ecu so that meant i was boosting at 1 bar anyway.

Already i have noticed that the turbo spools a little earlier and seems much louder. I'm assuming thats because its spinning sooner and the engine revs aren't drowning out the sound.

I haven't driven a stock one but i think its fair to say the difference is massive.

Hi Scotster

My car is BPU almost but all I need to go full BPU is to remove CAT1 as CAT 2 is gone already due to Power house Exhaust System, Did you find a big Diff in removing first CAT just trying to weight it against Proc and Cons i.e MOT

I really like the look of the I-Color but the price is quite frightening lol. I think thats the one i will go for though. The wife will be pleased :D

I'm quite confident that i could fit it easily enough, are they easy to set up? Wouldn't want to end up needing new turbo's lol.

Hi Scotster

My car is BPU almost but all I need to go full BPU is to remove CAT1 as CAT 2 is gone already due to Power house Exhaust System, Did you find a big Diff in removing first CAT just trying to weight it against Proc and Cons i.e MOT

I did notice a bit of a difference but not massive. As i said my car was already at 1 bar thanks to the mines ECU. Its boosting just below 1 bar now, because of the restrictor ring, and feels more torquey. The turbo also seems louder but i think thats because its spinning up faster than before meaning the revs of the engine aren't drowning it out. I put my foot down in 4th and was surprised at how well it pulled.

I would definitely go for a double de-cat. I'm sure you will be able to find a friendly MOT tester. Its better for the turbo's too :eyebrows: like tunes, it lets them breathe more easily.

I did notice a bit of a difference but not massive. As i said my car was already at 1 bar thanks to the mines ECU. Its boosting just below 1 bar now, because of the restrictor ring, and feels more torquey. The turbo also seems louder but i think thats because its spinning up faster than before meaning the revs of the engine aren't drowning it out. I put my foot down in 4th and was surprised at how well it pulled.

I would definitely go for a double de-cat. I'm sure you will be able to find a friendly MOT tester. Its better for the turbo's too :eyebrows: like tunes, it lets them breathe more easily.

Current Setup

Thanks, I have Apexi AVCR and have her setup at .9 BAR on Setting A, and 1.2 BAR on Setting B

But I read somewhere on here not too sure if its true, that running her at 1.2 BAR with CATS will cause Turbos to dismantle??

Question

From reading above (NIC), it sounds like you dont need a restrictor ring if u have a EBC??Maybe a Q for NIC

Boost Controller

Have a look into Apexi AVCR boost controller awesome piece of kit and the good thing about it is the easy of use and user friendly displays

Current Setup

Thanks, I have Apexi AVCR and have her setup at .9 BAR on Setting A, and 1.2 BAR on Setting B

But I read somewhere on here not too sure if its true, that running her at 1.2 BAR with CATS will cause Turbos to dismantle??

Question

From reading above (NIC), it sounds like you dont need a restrictor ring if u have a EBC??Maybe a Q for NIC

Boost Controller

Have a look into Apexi AVCR boost controller awesome piece of kit and the good thing about it is the easy of use and user friendly displays

1.2 definitely isn't ideal with the 1st cat in place. It generates a lot of heat and in turn will end up weakening the turbo's. If you want to run at 1.2 bar i would definitely take out the 1st CAT.

An EBC can only be used to increase the boost. If i didn't have a restrictor ring in there the turbo could potentially boost to 1.6bar depending on the flow through the exhaust. This would kill the turbo's in next to no time and far too much heat would be generated. There is nothing that can be done to lower the boost other than a restrictor ring or opening up the wastegate, the latter is impossible due to the housing size so the RR is the only option.

You will only notice the same amount of difference as myself. A bit more torque and faster spool.

The stock cats are very restrictive, if you run 1.2bar with the cats in (especially the 1st which is the most restrictive of the 2) you run the risk of high exhaust gas temperatures, which could potentially kill your engine.

From reading above (NIC), it sounds like you dont need a restrictor ring if u have a EBC??

No not correct, if you remove the cats on a J-spec Supra you will need to fit a restrictor ring, as the wastegate cannot flow enough exhaust gasses to limit boost to a safe level. A boost controller can only increase boost, it cannot lower boost.

The stock cats are very restrictive, if you run 1.2bar with the cats in (especially the 1st which is the most restrictive of the 2) you run the risk of high exhaust gas temperatures, which could potentially kill your engine.

No not correct, if you remove the cats on a J-spec Supra you will need to fit a restrictor ring, as the wastegate cannot flow enough exhaust gasses to limit boost to a safe level. A boost controller can only increase boost, it cannot lower boost.

Thanks Nic, thats clears up a few things