The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When it rains, it pours :(

Pabs

thanks mate, but I'm sure people at japfest have lots more to do than look at my car issues lol... :)

When I hit 4k revs, I thought it was my imagination, but sometimes it feels much stronger than others - I know @ BPU it's supposed to be quite a kick.....

Don't have a boost gauge, but have the Blitz i-colour controller, obviously gives me various readings including boost. According to this, I managed to hit 1.4 bar a couple of times in the very cold weather, but recently I've not really seen higher than 1bar.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not a 100% accurate figure, but from searching other threads it seems that an auto supra has a 25% transmission loss. Is this right?

From my calculation, 360bhp @ fly -25% would give around 270rwhp, which is roughly what my graphs are showing.

I know it's not an accurate calculation - just trying to get a feel for the figures. Ta

I know it's not a 100% accurate figure, but from searching other threads it seems that an auto supra has a 25% transmission loss. Is this right?

From my calculation, 360bhp @ fly -25% would give around 270rwhp, which is roughly what my graphs are showing.

I know it's not an accurate calculation - just trying to get a feel for the figures. Ta

The rw torque and Hp is the one that *really* matters, flywheel figures are utterly meaningless on auto's as rolling roads are not able to calculate the drag losses due to the way a torque convertor works.

If you can post those it might reveal some details, but all we have to go on seem to be AFR and Boost readings, which are all over the place. The flywheel torque curve is nothing like it should look, so either your RR operator doesn't know what he's providing or your car has a problem. I can post a pic from a well respected operator that shows the torque, boost, afr and bhp from a 1.2 bar Supra if that helps to understand what your graph should look like?

that might help homer :) It'd be good to know what to expect for RW figure and torque just so I can see how things compare and where the problem(s) is/are.

I think I may now have the boost controller set too low as well - I'm playing safe with around 1bar max, but I don't want to turn this up until these bits have been cleared up.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone please let me know what an Auto BPU TT should be putting out at the rear wheels?

Just a ballpark figure would be great, or range in which to expect the figure. Some people tell me 280+rwhp is fine, others say I should expect a min of 300-310rwhp.

Also, if anyone has any graphs of a properly running BPU Auto then please post links - also let me know the peak boost values if not easily readable from the graphs.

Thanks

ok thanks guys. Gives me an idea of how far short my car is.

Looking at the graphs my boost peaks at lower than 0.9 bar, so I'm wondering if I've got the SBC set lower than it could be.

The FSE thing will be removed very soon (when I can get all the bits) which hopefully will help the running rich, and perhaps free up a bit of power. Then I need to see what else is going on to tackle that.

Thanks Jamie. It's actually 270rwhp, and I'm not really bothered about the actual figures as I've been there and done that before - chasing those elusive horse power.... I am concerned that the boost seems to be fluctuating all over the place, and looks nothing like the boost curve above.

What I'm trying to do is to ensure that the car is running right. My graphs look weird, AND I'm down on power, so if I can get the car running as it should then the final figure doesn't really matter.

I know a lot of people are blaming the dyno operators, and I'm no whizz by any means, but I know that if they didn't know how to dyno it properly they would have said so and they wouldn't have done it, or given me the results afterwards.