The "Perfect" Rebuilt Engine?

b.weeks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fancy having a word with Patrick to see if we can use his wind tunnel?

Now that would be ideal :-) Anything else to be honest is guess work - although some track time just changing wings etc. would also help to see how they affect time.

Toyota use a lower wing than the APR on there race car.

Maybe we should just source all those parts :-) (if possible)

EDIT Some good pictures here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/denso-sard-supra-hv-r/279227/ and only aero parts from SARD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SARD) I can find are here http://www.sard.co.jp/product/exteria/index.html so maybe not commercially available replica kits?

Now that would be ideal :-) Anything else to be honest is guess work - although some track time just changing wings etc. would also help to see how they affect time.

lol, not likely I'm afraid. Any F1 team worth it's salt is using every wind tunnel it can get it's hands on 100% of the available time.

If you go to a decent customer wind tunnel, then you would first need to build a wind tunnel model, which can set you back around £100K in parts / materials alone for a baseline model and without electronic control equipment, (Factor in around £100K for that) then you would need to pay for tunnel time, which is quite cheap in comparison at about £350 / hour. A full development programme for would probably take 3 - 4 months of 40 hour weeks....

Plus on top of that, I've not worked at Williams for two years, so in all likelihood, Patrick isn't going to be too open to requests. ;) :D

That is no BS though, it really is that expensive. Even if you take a car to Mira and use the full size tunnel there, it's ridiculously expensive and you then have the cost of making full sized components to test (which are obviously a lot more expensive than 50% scaled bits - which is why F1 teams always test at scale)

I think your best bet is to concentrate on track testing. At lest that way you're getting mileage under yoru belt. Try to keep things as simple as possible, and you won't go far wrong.

Good luck with it mate!

Only just seen this, thanks guys for all your comments and advice.

Funnily enough my wing has recently come off as I can't get my cover over the car when its on!

We'll have to do some testing as Paul says, and I must admit the comments on seat time are probably the easiest and most cost effective way of getting the cars to go faster.

... anyone want a nice big APR wing ? :)