The mkiv Supra Owners Club

better MPG?

nickball75

It can't open at low load otherwise you'd never get any vacuum in your brake booster,

yes as it has a non return valve

and iv never had a problem with my brakes

If my guess is right (maybe someone can confirm?) then it would certainly change the throttle response (which might make the car "feel" more sprightly). On a MAF equipped car it would potentially make you run lean.

no as its no connected to a maf sensor and it is to be placed after any sensor

For anybody with low mpg's, when was the oxygen sensor(s) last renewed?

If O2 sensor(s) have not been changed for a few years or the car is still fitted with the factory fitted sensor(s), then they're most likely to be duff by now and the reason for the poor fuel economy. The ECU relies on the feedback for O2 sensor to optimise fueling, if the O2 sensor(s) are worn out the ECU will default to a rich setting which has a huge effect on mpg's.

A new O2 sensor is not exactly cheap, but when you consider how much it costs to fill up your tank and how much of an improvement a new O2 sensor should make, they soon pay for themselves in fuel savings.

Guest Guyver

I have fitted two Ecotek CB-26P valves to my supra and they made no difference at all. There was no improvement in mpg or performance and are a complete waste of money. But don't take my word for it here's the Advertising Standards Authority ruling: http://tinyurl.com/alfk8

Also here's a detailed technical analysis: http://www.fuelsaving.info/ecotek.htm

When I got my car I was getting 16mpg this was due to a faulty O2 sensor and after getting it replaced I'm now getting 21 -25 mpg depending on the type of driving.

didnt banzai do a test on the ecotek and found it made no difference

i think if any of these gizmos actually worked then they would by now be selling in there millions across the globe and fitted as standard to all new cars ,if manufactuers could make an engine which produced high power and did 50 to the gallon dont you think they would ?

I But don't take my word for it here's the Advertising Standards Authority ruling: http://tinyurl.com/alfk8.

so that when the throttle was reapplied, there would be slightly more fuel in the air-fuel mix and improve the throttle response.

yeah great write up there, only works when throttle is re apllied?

um yeah ok it cant as it needs the vacum to suck in air

and how wold there be slightly more fuel when it lets in air?

and that guy tony refers to the cb-26p as a product that goes before the throttle, and the contradicts himself on another page

Guest Guyver

Some more info on why air-bleed valves don't work here..http://fuelsaving.info/air_bleed.htm

And like I've said I've tried this valve and it does nothing except fart when you lift off the throttle.

i travel 18 miles each way to work each day and the weird thing is that i get better mpg (even if just a couple) when i take the route which is all hills up and down compared to the route which is flat. im sure there is a logical explanation for this, maybe its due to me rolling without touching the excelarator for most of the way

For anybody with low mpg's, when was the oxygen sensor(s) last renewed?

If O2 sensor(s) have not been changed for a few years or the car is still fitted with the factory fitted sensor(s), then they're most likely to be duff by now and the reason for the poor fuel economy. The ECU relies on the feedback for O2 sensor to optimise fueling, if the O2 sensor(s) are worn out the ECU will default to a rich setting which has a huge effect on mpg's.

A new O2 sensor is not exactly cheap, but when you consider how much it costs to fill up your tank and how much of an improvement a new O2 sensor should make, they soon pay for themselves in fuel savings.

How much am i looking at for replacing it nic?

yes as it has a non return valve

and iv never had a problem with my brakes

That's precisely what I'm saying. It can't be opening at low load, because other wise you would have brake problems. It must only suck in air at high throttle openings.

no as its no connected to a maf sensor and it is to be placed after any sensor

I knwo its not connected to the MAF meter - that's just the problem. By letting air into the intake without putting it through the MAF, the engine has no idea how much air it should be fuelling for and hence will run lean. Fine for cars using MAP/MAT, but potentially very bad for cars with MAF,