The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Falken 452?

JamieP

• 2 weeks later...
Fitted some goodyears to the rear and moved the falkens up front today, still feels a bit dodgy on the front but at least the rear feels planted again, still a bit worried about using them at marham.

well, last event we had a VXR8 as a saftey car and we destroyed the OEM tyres in 2 days.

Fitted some goodyears to the rear and moved the falkens up front today, still feels a bit dodgy on the front but at least the rear feels planted again, still a bit worried about using them at marham.

So you definitely noticed a difference then. I went to the drag strip last weekend and only managed average 2.6 secs 60 foot time with the falkens on... I appreciate I have to learn to launch better and and that improving the suspension from stock would help but I'm wondering how much the falkens were responsible for the crappy traction. I had them at 30 then 20 pressure with little difference. Care to comment?

Falkens are crap, i can lay the power down easy now even in second gear, with the falkens i would be spinning in 3rd, im just worried about the braking now, if i get time ill try to get some others for marham.

Falken = shockingly bad tyre imo, most of the monaro boys that have tried them are saying the same.

So you definitely noticed a difference then. I went to the drag strip last weekend and only managed average 2.6 secs 60 foot time with the falkens on... I appreciate I have to learn to launch better and and that improving the suspension from stock would help but I'm wondering how much the falkens were responsible for the crappy traction. I had them at 30 then 20 pressure with little difference. Care to comment?

tDR managed a 2.0 on F452's

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=143650&page=3

You can't really argue with that for a standard road tyre, it's not your tyres that are the issue. ;)

Excellent tyre.

Have to agree with Michael - I rate the Falken FK-452's as an excellent road car performance tyre. From memory, my best 60ft on Goodyear F1 GSD3's was 2.1 so couldn't get traction quite as well as with the Falkens.

Suspension does have a big part to play in overall traction so when combined with particular tyre designs the two may just not 'get along' hence your Supra Falken experience being different Jamie.

Cheers,

Brian.

hmm the tyres on you old cars is up for a change, but searching around the 452's seems to be good value for money (on the Supra at least) as they are only about 180£ in the 315/25-19 size.

the 2nd cheapest choise is almost 100£ more...per coner!!! ...and it's the Continental SportContact 2's any thoughts on those anyone?

hmm the tyres on you old cars is up for a change, but searching around the 452's seems to be good value for money (on the Supra at least) as they are only about 180£ in the 315/25-19 size.

the 2nd cheapest choise is almost 100£ more...per coner!!! ...and it's the Continental SportContact 2's any thoughts on those anyone?

TBH they seemed fine on that, handled really well, must be just the monaro they dont like, anyhow i killed them in 30min at marham today:D

we have 452's on our supra and they look just like the ones in the pic.

i have been happy with them but i suspect i dont drive like you!:D

richie

edit, must read whole thread before replying! looks like you already knew the answer!

You can check out the different tread patterns I think on mytyres and I think also camskill. I rate the falken 452's as reasonable tyres on my aristo. Yes for sure there is about 75% of the grip I got from the pirrelli p zero nero's I put on but they are lasting a bit better (that said I haven't done a 30 degree hot 40 minute session track day on the falkens yet). I could get wheel spin and light up the back end on the Falkens but not with the pirellis. I will be honest here I firmly believe that my car wouldn't donut on the aircraft high grip servicing platform I tried on because the tyres gripped too much. You obviously need new tyres and given that with only 245's to put all that oomph down from very low revs I'd give the pirrellis a go. Also bear in mind they are fitted to new porsche 911's these days.

I also rate the 452's highly on the rear of my supra. I've used them twice now and very happy with them. This is after using both Goodyears and Toyo's. And I do enjoy a blast in the car round the twisties.

I did find the first 50-100 miles on them a bit loose till they scrubbed in, then they were absolutely fine.

I think there is too many variables in this example to compare really, car/weight/power/tyre width/suspension/driving style...

Was pretty impressed over the weekend with mine. Overtaking manoeuvre could have gone pretty badly wrong on the dampish roads if they were rubbish.

Mine are pretty new though, couple thousand miles only, I don't know if the grip drops off at half life say. Time will tell. ;)

I've got the 452 and used them at Marham. No problems what so ever.

Better than the Pirelli P Zeros i had!!??

I've got stiff Teins though if that makes a difference...

Not wearing to well though although what do you expect form a track day :D