The mkiv Supra Owners Club

top speed!!

danny_silva

And a single ... what's the average for those topping out? E.g. T67

On stock wheels & tyres, stock 6spd LSD diff and stock rev limit it's 198mph. It will not go more without changes to the above ;)

I have no doubt that it would do more with a raised limit, but not a lot! You'd also need about 3 miles :D

I was on a runway a few weeks ago, in a near stock j-spec TT auto.

A few points.

1. We used laser timing beams, you simply do not get a more acurate measure than these.

2. Our speedos over-read by a huge margin, my speedo showed 175mph when the laser-traps showed I was doing 161mph.

180 real mph out of a stock TT is absolute fantasy. There was no way on this earth my car had another 19mph left in it, even on the Bonneville salt flats, 167mph is probably acheivable with enough space for an auto. Your speedo will just be on the other side of 180 at this speed. Doesn't mean you are actually doing 180 though.

Also the Supra isn't the right shape for top speed runs, it's designed for stability at 155mph, and generates a fair amount of downforce for a road car, something like an M3 does not which is why they obtain higher speeds with less power. Ditto CaymanS's and 911's.

If you had stock wheels and the non-LSD diff I believe the max at the TT rev limit is 164mph, however you would need the power to pull to the limit, which I seriously doubt a stock TT can do (even with the 6spd, my stock TT was a very long way off the limit).

isn't a stock tt engine more likely to max out the 5th gear of a NA gearbox than the 6th gear of the TT one?

won't the same power engine push the car along at the same speed (top speed wise) regardless of the gearing unless of course it runs out of rev range?

i'm struggling to see why Danny's car wouldn't go as fast as my old stock UK car....unless he's bouncing off the limiter?

isn't a stock tt engine more likely to max out the 5th gear of a NA gearbox than the 6th gear of the TT one?

won't the same power engine push the car along at the same speed (top speed wise) regardless of the gearing unless of course it runs out of rev range?

i'm struggling to see why Danny's car wouldn't go as fast as my old stock UK car....unless he's bouncing off the limiter?

If it were only that simple! Final drive and gearbox gear ratio matched to engine power output at peak rpm will determine the top speed (as well as drag & weight. i,e aftermarket bodykits, and other 'stuff' thats been installed).

If you want to be sure of the top speed, take it out to a long runway and see what the GPS/accelerometer says :)

A runway isn't long enough.

A lightly trafficed motorway with excellent visibility, at dawn with atleast 3 miles of straight and level ground with no corners you can't take at 160 and enough radii that you can stop in the roadspace you can see (about 1000 feet) is what you need.

Or go to germany.

A runway isn't long enough.

A lightly trafficed motorway with excellent visibility, at dawn with atleast 3 miles of straight and level ground with no corners you can't take at 160 and enough radii that you can stop in the roadspace you can see (about 1000 feet) is what you need.

Or go to germany.

:innocent:

Weight is largely irrelevent.

Unless you have a known stretch of road with a limit of "safe", straight line distance ;) :D