The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A 5speed or 6speed

Supra ST Myster

Thought you might find this useful.

My mate created this spreadsheet that shows you all the info for each gear, just need to input the ratios:

As you will see if you put a TT diff in the NA 6speed, you will achieve more speed in each gear up to 4th, but will lose a bit top end (because of the individual gearing ratios)

This works for any car providing you put in the correct ratios.

Cheers

Ian

Gearbox Calculator V1.xls

• 2 weeks later...
Oh right, I just assumed that the 6th gear was an overdrive and therefore motorway driving wouldn't be such a PITA. I don't go that quick on the motorway as I can't stand the engine noise. Looks like the have just divided the 5 gear ratio by 6 then.....:rolleyes:

H.

I've never been in an NA. Do they really make that much engine noise at motorway speeds? I find the TT is easily the quietest car I've been in for cruising, makes it a real pleasure for long distance driving.

Also, if what Scooter says is true about the 6speed maximising the low power of the NA, why stick it in the TT? Or was it designed for the TT and someone happened to notice it worked very well in the NA?

I've never been in an NA. Do they really make that much engine noise at motorway speeds? I find the TT is easily the quietest car I've been in for cruising, makes it a real pleasure for long distance driving.

What i noticed going back to my NA was the relatively harsh starting and cold running, where as a TT just starts very quietly and revs lower and is smoother.

My NA is at, give or take, 3000rpm at 70mph in 6th speed and i suspect it averages a fair few higher rpm's than yours would on the same route, so will be marginally noiser i spose.....

Also, if what Scooter says is true about the 6speed maximising the low power of the NA, why stick it in the TT? Or was it designed for the TT and someone happened to notice it worked very well in the NA?

I always thought the gearbox/ratios were the same late NA and TT wise, it appears this may not be the case but the overwhelming difference is in the diff i think..........the NA diff is geared so the top speed a NA engine can get is high up the rev range..........eg with a stock 6speed TT drivetrain i doubt the NA would max out 5th gear.

What i noticed going back to my NA was the relatively harsh starting and cold running, where as a TT just starts very quietly and revs lower and is smoother.

My NA is at, give or take, 3000rpm at 70mph in 6th speed and i suspect it averages a fair few higher rpm's than yours would on the same route, so will be marginally noiser i spose.....

My TT is about 2700rpm at 70 I think. It does start very quietly too, apart from the squealing belts :(

I'm half tempted to go round some local traders and test drive some different Supras to what the fuss is about with NAs, 6speeds etc first hand.

I always thought the gearbox/ratios were the same late NA and TT wise, it appears this may not be the case but the overwhelming difference is in the diff i think..........the NA diff is geared so the top speed a NA engine can get is high up the rev range..........eg with a stock 6speed TT drivetrain i doubt the NA would max out 5th gear.

That makes sense. Might go have a read of some of the gear ratio threads.... :)

I'm half tempted to go round some local traders and test drive some different Supras to what the fuss is about with NAs, 6speeds etc first hand.

nothing special about them, except their potential.............

some have big brakes and all are facelift and have lsd and the strong gearbox so are (bar the gearign issue) ripe for a conversion.

nothing special about them, except their potential.............

some have big brakes and all are facelift and have lsd and the strong gearbox so are (bar the gearign issue) ripe for a conversion.

There's the potential, but I also have no idea what people are talking about half the time :) Little things, like people describing the getrag as "agricultural". I've only driven one vaguely agricultural vehicle before (a 40+ year old truck thing owned by the farmer down the road from my parents), so my perception of agricutural gearboxes is somewhat warped :D